cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed issue

pandora1
Dabbler

Broadband speed issue

Hi i am new to this! i joined Plusnet on the recommendation of my daughter who lives in Ireland and gets 5mg broadband speed, i was only getting 3 mg so decided to change, OMG wish i had never done it ! had long discussions with plusnet, over the last 2 or 3 months to no avail, my speed is 1.9mg ! and have been told that is all they can provide, due to distance from the hub! my daughter is disabled and relies on me to Skype her every day and do shopping on line with her. I have asked to end my contract with them but was told there would be over £100 to pay, to release me.The only other thing they have said is to use my ethernet cable, i thought i was paying for wireless! Any one that could help i would be so grateful i am at my wits end now. Thanks in advance. Cry
jim:red All caps in title changed as per the Forum Rules mod:end
25 REPLIES 25
picbits
Rising Star

Re: BROADBAND SPEED ISSUE

Hi Smiley
Can you have a quick look at this thread and post your router stats using the guide on that thread ? (Points 1-3)
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
This will give us all an idea of your connection speeds, what your line is capable of, any excessive errors and much more info.
egg1T

Re: BROADBAND SPEED ISSUE

Seems to me that you Are resisting using the ethernet cable? Speed versus conveniences of WiFi! I use a ethernet where possible at all times because there is no getting away from it cable is faster always. You may find that the extra meg or 2 cable will give may get you skyping!
pandora1
Dabbler

Re: Broadband speed issue

Hi yes i am reluctant to use the ethernet cable as i am not always sat or in the same room so need my computer to be portable, i need to be able to hold a conversation and move around at the same time is that to much to ask for in this day and age? we are in the 21st century . I was able to do this with Talk Talk with no problem why not with plusnet I do pay for wireless? i now seem to be down to 1.7mg have tried all the tests, all i want is to be released from my contract, all my neighbours get higher speeds than me  Cry thanks for your reply
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

There might not be a need to release you from the contract if the speed is a issue that can be fixed, it wouldn't matter which ISP you went with if there is something wrong with the line but we wont know if you don't help by posting the stats that DomS gave the link to the instructions for, I can understand the frustration ect i have been there myself in the past, at least post the stats and go from there.  
pandora1
Dabbler

Hi this is the result of the BT test
Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.08 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.08 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.79 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.18 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.18Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
picbits
Rising Star

Ouch - that is a slow line anyway (I've seen worse though and my old company had 30 users sharing a line with a third of that speed many moons ago !)
Can you post your router stats up as well (you can get them from following the link I gave you before)
pandora1
Dabbler

trying which bit do you need? broadband or dsl ???thanks
pandora1
Dabbler

Is this what you wanted
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 2:39:41
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 348 / 2,037
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 910.98 / 3.27
rammie
Dabbler

there should be more info like SNR and attenuation and such Smiley
pandora1
Dabbler

Sorry can not find the info  Undecided
pandora1
Dabbler

Hi me again is this it  Undecided
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:00:46
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 348 / 2,037
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 912.41 / 3.27
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.8 / 17.1
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 38.5 / 68.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.9 / 6.7
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 103 / 19
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 14,824 / 9,115
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 341 / 8
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 953 / 21
Pick a task...
Restart my Technicolor Gateway
picbits
Rising Star

Yup - that is exactly what is needed.
picbits
Rising Star

Not a very healthy looking set of readings to be honest with you - either you are a very long distance from the exchange or you have some interference on your line.
Have you been asked to do a quiet line test yet ? You dial 17070 (preferably from a wired phone - not cordless) and choose the quiet line test and listen for any crackling or hissing on the line.
You may also have been asked to remove the front plate from your master socket (where your router plugs in) and try using the test socket behind it.
pandora1
Dabbler

No not good but i have had an engineer out twice, and have been on to plusnet begging them to let me out of their contract, i have had the modem plugged into the master socket, just been told to use ethernet cable not much help, to me but what can i do they just do not seem to understand and its all about the money. Thank you for your help in this  Smiley