cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed half what it was and below minimum guarantee

gadg17
Hooked

Broadband speed half what it was and below minimum guarantee

I'm currently getting only 35Mb over ethernet to a fast PC. Was previouisly getting well over 60Mb.

BT Wholesale Advanced Report:
Friday 23 September 2022 | 19:24:48
Ping 11 Ms
Download 35.42 Mbps
Upload 18.52 Mbps
Download speed achieved during the test was 35.42 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 25.86 - 36.95 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 36.95 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was 18.52 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

BT Broadband Availability Checker reports Downstream Line Rate 76.3 (high) and 55 (low)

I'm paying for Unlimited Fibre Extra and had these figures from Plusnet after installation last October:
Estimated peak time speeds: Download: 46 - 64Mb; Upload: 10 - 15Mb
Current line speed: 61.6Mb
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 40.5Mb

Am I being capped mistakenly or has the IP profile changed so that I can no longer get what I'm paying for? I've been through the connection refresh procedure via text message - no change.

Thanks for any advice

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Broadband speed half what it was and below minimum guarantee

@gadg17 When did you notice this speed reduction? At first glance, I would say there is a problem somewhere in the network.

First thing to check is your phone line - dial 17070, select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be NO noise on the line apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement - if there is any noise report a phone fault via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via:https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Please report back, whatever the result.

John
gadg17
Hooked

Thanks for the response. Noticed the problem today while looking into whether to renew the contract.

The quiet line test is fine. I tried the 'report a broadband problem' link but it doesn't seem to have any option other than the text message check, which I've already tried.

However I've logged a complaint ticket so we'll see what they eventually say. Will post any updates.

David

jab1
Legend

OK - I wonder  how long it has been like this? If you don't get a response to the 'bot' report by (say) midday tomorrow, post back and say so - there are other options. It may take awhile for your ticket to be picked up - the 'Team' are 'busy'.

John
gadg17
Hooked

Thanks - I will indeed.
gadg17
Hooked

They called this morning - they're sending an engineer a week on Monday, so it's not going to be a remote fix. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thank you for reaching out to us @gadg17. I'm very sorry to read about the issues you've been having with your speeds. I can see that you've spoken to our support team this morning regarding this fault and that an investigation into this matter has been raised. I'd like to personally oversee this and so I've taken ownership of the complaint case you'd raised previously. I've logged an update confirming this, which can be accessed here. 

If you have any further queries or issues, please don't hesitate to log them here in your thread or (ideally) on the support ticket linked above Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
gadg17
Hooked

@TheMightyAJ Thank you. 

David

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Personally, as I initially replied, I would be interested in the resolution, and the steps taken to get there. 'Hiding' it in a ticket almost suggests there is something worth hiding?

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not really, I just like to keep things between ourselves and the customer asking questions as much as possible. It makes it easier to keep the conversation flowing if it's somewhere we don't need to omit details for security and privacy purposes. For example, address details, or landline numbers, that sort of thing. Of course, if the OP wants to share info about the case, they're more than free to do so Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

I kind of get what you are saying, Alex, but unless there is more to this than a simple (or complex) network issue, then I don't see the point in hiding the details. If address/land line number details need to be shared - and they shouldn't be, you have them already - then a PM would suffice, surely.

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @gadg17,

I hope you're doing well! I'm just checking back in with you today to ask how the connection's been since we last spoke? I've tested the line today and everything appears to be running fine on our end, with the speed currently syncing at 60Mbps down. Just let me know if you've run into any issues and I'll get back to you as soon as possible Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team