cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed dropped - something to do with the MBORC?

suzshi

Broadband speed dropped - something to do with the MBORC?

Hi,
Our broadband speed has dropped and is staying consistently low for the last few days. We thought initially it might be something to do with the MBORC work that's noted on the status page, but now we're starting to think we may have a fault. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks,
Suzy
Here are our stats:
BT Wholesale Broadband Speed Test Results
Download 1.05
Upload 0.30
Ping 243.17
Test 2
Download 1.13
Upload 0.31
Ping 101.63
Connection
Estimated line speed:
4.0Mb (This may vary between 2.5Mb and 7Mb) - Checked on 2014-07-31 12:42:11
Current line speed:
6 Mb
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 18:49:29
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.200
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 333,66 / 1,99

Internet
Connection Information
Uptime: 0 days, 17:59:53
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 257,69 / 2,63
IP Address: 146.90.229.50
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband speed dropped - something to do with the MBORC?

are those speed tests wired or wireless
by the way MBORC won't affect speeds
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ suzshi
Can you re-do the BTwholesale test, only carry on and do the Further Diagnostics bit, and post the IP Profile?
It should be slightly over 6 mbps, according to the Current Line Speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi sushi,
First welcome to the forums.  As it us the weekend, there are no PlusNET staff around here, so you've only got other customers to help you, based on the information you can supply.
Looking at what you've supplied already, it looks like you are on a rural exchange only offering 20CN services, rather than the more up to date 21CN services - look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php to see what services are available.  If this states that 21CNs available on your exchange then PN needs to be asked which service you are on.  Your current modulation is ADSL which will never do better than 8Mbps.
At the moment the summary stats report 7.2Mbps which is really good for ADSL (as opposed to ADSL 2).  Can you please post the full stats?
Your PN profile is 6Mbps which for a 20CN service is spot on.  Thus sets the top limit of the speed at which data can be transmitted.  Given that your test speeds are so substantially lower then one rather concludes that one it more of the following must be true...
1. The speed test was done over wifi please re do it over a wired connection to the router - remember to switch off wifi if using the same computer to ensure it uses the wired connection.  If the speed is better then this is a wifi problem, as hinted at by OldJim.
2. There is something causing a lot of errors, creating the need for data to be retransmitted, thereby slowing down the effective data transmission speeds.  The full router stats will help assess if this is the case.
3. There is noise on the line - dial 17070 option 2 on a corded phone plugged into the master socket - if the line is noisy then that fault needs to be reported to your phone supplier.
4. Internal wiring - is the router in the master socket?  If not try connecting to the test socket behind the master socket face plate.
5. Bad filter - try another one.
After that raise a fault here http;//faults.plus.net

See here for more information on understand broadband speed http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_basics.shtml?return_page=22224&target_page=2... and here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LukeS
Grafter

Hi suzshi,
There doesn't appear to be any obvious problems looking at it from our side. Can you confirm if you did the speedtest wirelessly or through Ethernet?
suzshi

Hi all,
Thanks for your help.
Yes previous tests were wired, not over wifi.
Latest test:
Download 0.44
Upload 0.23
Ping 137.88
Further diagnostics:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.44 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.23 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6 Mbps
- Did 17070 and the line is not noisy
- The router is in the master socket. The master socket hasn't got a test socket.
- We don't have another filter to try.
I'm not sure what you mean by full router stats ... is this what you need?
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 10:38:20
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.232
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 660,74 / 1,71
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 19,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 40,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 5,4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 85 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 37.207
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 74
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 74 / 1.418

Internet
Connection Information

Uptime: 0 days, 10:38:58
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 520,11 / 5,05
Connection Settings

PVC Info (VPI.VCI): 0.38
Type: PPPoA
PPP Settings

Username: ********
Password: ********
Connection Mode: Always-On
TCP/IP Settings

IP Address: 84.93.174.253/32
Default Gateway: 195.166.128.195
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There is absolutely no reason why you should be getting such rotten speeds
What does this say about your exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ - is anything showing red or amber
suzshi

It's all showing green for our exchange (crosswood)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

in which case you need to raise a speed fault here https://faults.plus.net
however can you check that this also shows 6Mbps - it should but it is worth a check - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
suzshi

Thanks Jim, yes it also shows 6Mbps:
Telephone number:
<snip>
Phone exchange:
    CROSSWOOD
Estimated line speed:
    4.0Mb (This may vary between 2.5Mb and 7Mb) - Checked on 2014-07-31 12:42:11
Current line speed:
    6 Mb
We'll raise a fault. Fingers crossed it will get sorted swiftly - I have moaning teenagers! Smiley
jim:green Phone number removed mod:end
ChrisLJ

Same in Llanilar suzshi.  Its been below 1mb all week. I'm connected to the exchange at 8.5mb, ip profile is 7.5mb but my download has not gone over 60k since Monday. i have raised a ticket but no reply yet. If its any consolation other people I know on other ISP's are having issues in the area and on other exchanges. My guess is someone at Bangladesh Telecom has messed up!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@CRT,
On the face if it, everything looks fine here....
Synch speed is good, PN and BT (visible) profiles are correct, speed test is being run wired.
If there is no reported exchange congestion, can someone check the bRAS (I think that's the right term) profile.  Over recent weeks there have been a number of similar issues traced back to some internal (hidden) BTOR profile which was misaligned with the rest of the world on 20CN services.  Adam C, Bob Pullen and Chris Pettitt have each dealt with this kind of issue recently.

Suzshi,
Are you absolutely certain that no other software or device (mobile phone logged into Facebook) was using the Internet during these WIRED speed tests?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
I've run a quick fault check on the broadband and nothing was returned as the cause of the speed drop and we haven't flagged any mismatch in the BRAS/DSLAM profiles so everything seems to be fine from that aspect Kevin. I must admit that I was expecting the mismatch to rear it's head after the amount of these we've seen in recent weeks.
@suzshi - Are you still seeing the speed issues?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adam,
As an aside are there any views on what is causing the issue seen over recent weeks?  Is it confined to 20CN services?  Could it be related to now using the BTw supplied 21CN tools to administer 20CN products?
Kevin

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: ChrisLJ
Same in Llanilar suzshi.  Its been below 1mb all week. I'm connected to the exchange at 8.5mb, ip profile is 7.5mb but my download has not gone over 60k since Monday. i have raised a ticket but no reply yet. If its any consolation other people I know on other ISP's are having issues in the area and on other exchanges. My guess is someone at Bangladesh Telecom has messed up!

Adam,
Are these exchanges near each other?  Is there a general BTOR issue which might account for this?

Chris,
If you'd like help on this, please start a new thread with all of the information requested in the speed issues thread.  Just to confirm, was this speed test wired or wireless?
Kevin