cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed confusion

familydrewett
Dabbler

Broadband speed confusion

Basically the other day a requested to be upgraded to adsl max.
Before this my router reported downstream 2272kbps and upstream 288kbps.
Now my router reports downstream 7616kbps and upstream 448kbps, but when i go onto one of the speed testers online it says download speeds 1902kbps 383kbps upload.
Is this right?. Is this because it has been less than 10 days since i asked to be upgraded? or is their a fault?
Thanks in advance
Regards
48 REPLIES 48
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband speed confusion

Hiya,
Would you mind PMing me your username?
I've checked your line (that is associated with this account) and there's noooooo way that line can get that sort of speed.
Which probably means I'm looking at the wrong account Smiley
familydrewett
Dabbler

My username is
I did try plugging my router into the master socket earlier, but it has since been returned to its original place. Could it be that the router hasn't reset itself yet?
Also what speeds could i look to receive on adsl max and when will i get those speeds?
Cheers
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: familydrewett
Now my router reports downstream 7616kbps and upstream 448kbps, but when i go onto one of the speed testers online it says download speeds 1902kbps 383kbps upload.
Is this right?

Probably, it normally takes a minimum of 3 days for the faster speed to reflect in the IP Profile.
ALSO you could have local PC and/or networking issues slowing it down that were not apparent on the slower link.
What does the BT Speed Tester say (in full)?
James
Grafter

Yep, that was the account that I was looking at.  do me a favour and PM me your telephone number just incase I'm looking at the wrong line?
I see a line attenuation of 61dB with a sync speed of 2176Kbps, which you would be very unlikely to get any better than the current IP Profile of 1750Kbps.
If that is indeed your line, I'd suggest that your router is reporting duff information.
familydrewett
Dabbler

bt speed tester says:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1816 kbps
ctech500
Grafter

I am also confussed
BT speedtest

Your DSL connection rate: 6272 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3625 kbps
My router stats
System Up Time 79:38:26
ADSL Link          Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6272 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 40.0 db 22.5 db
Noise Margin         10.2 db 21.0 db
Plusnet have my profile set at 4000 why is this ?
Can the PN profile be adjusted to match.
prichardson
Grafter

Unfortunately, James does know how to read line tests, as evident by him booking an engineer out to fix his own modem.
Looking at the details of your line, James is indeed partially correct in that the line is quoting statistics suggesting the line should not be capable of the 7616kbps your modem is operating at.
However, taking all other statistics on the account, it would suggest that either your modem, your internal cabling or other devices on the line are causing a highly inflated downstream attenuation.
Well, that is assuming that the same physical cable to the exchange cannot be two lengths at the same time Wink
In order to investigate further, I ideally need to perform the same line test with your router connected direct to the test socket as the single and only device on the line. Do you happen to have a spare modem at all?
prichardson
Grafter

Quote from: ctech500
I am also confussed
BT speedtest

Your DSL connection rate: 6272 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3625 kbps
My router stats
System Up Time 79:38:26
ADSL Link          Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6272 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 40.0 db 22.5 db
Noise Margin         10.2 db 21.0 db

Having looked at your line, your downstream SNR is fluctuating and there are a high volume of errors on the downstream.
As this is only present on the downstream, there is nothing to suggest this is a line problem, but may be indicative of some form of line noise, modem, filter or internal cabling issue.
Can you also connect the modem as the only device on the line from the test socket, so I can get some sample data please.
This type of problem will represent itself as a throughput issue, as the errors will cause both loss of data and problems actually getting it through. Each one compounding and making the other worse.
Quote from: ctech500
Plusnet have my profile set at 4000 why is this ?
Can the PN profile be adjusted to match.

This is because of the fluctuation in the SNR and speeds seen on your line. The BT data I am looking at currently also shows 4000.
Flapping lines such as your own will cause this type of issue in that the two figures are not fully synchronised. A flapping line generates a lot of data that needs to be processed. As such, some systems will be behind more than others. Lines that don't flap, don't generate as much data and can thus process much sooner.
In this case, changing the profile is of no use. Our systems will update once all of BTs systems have updated. I could update it, but then we are waiting on the BT systems instead to complete their part.
At least right now, when we auto-update, you will know BTs systems will be reflecting it too.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Phil,
Sorry to jump in to something which is nothing to do with me but something is badly adrift in the analysis of the line - assuming we are talking about the same line
From familydrewett
    Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1816 kbps
From James
Yep, that was the account that I was looking at.  do me a favour and PM me your telephone number just incase I'm looking at the wrong line?
I see a line attenuation of 61dB with a sync speed of 2176Kbps, which you would be very unlikely to get any better than the current IP Profile of 1750Kbp

Surely it is just a case of waiting for the training period to finish before the IP Rate increases and also finding out which line we are discussing
prichardson
Grafter

Yes and no.
Yes, the training period needs to be concluded for the higher throughput.
However, it the no why I didn't suggest it.
Per James comments, there is a 61dB downstream attenuation. Yet, the information shows it is operating at 7616kbps sync speed.
To make it simple, the technology simply cannot support this speed at this loop loss. You just can't get enough signal through.
This is provided the line is attenuated so much due to line length. If there is an artificial source of said attenuation, this should be fixed for two reasons.
1: Your removing a potential cause of future issues.
2: What if this is not "potential" and is "actual". ie, there is a chance this may have a bearing on the 10 says training period.
If this is resolved before the training is complete, this may resort to "potential" only.
familydrewett
Dabbler

Sorry not sure what your asking me to do?
I do have a spare modem, the zyxel prestige modem plusnet suplied me with.
So what exactly do i need to do?
Cheers
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: familydrewett
My username is *********
I did try plugging my router into the master socket earlier, but it has since been returned to its original place. Could it be that the router hasn't reset itself yet?
Also what speeds could i look to receive on adsl max and when will i get those speeds?

You have just exposed your email to potential spam.
You should have used the PM (Personal Message) option to keep it hidden.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes you do have to be carefull, look at this Google search
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

And that is why you should never use your username as the forum name. This was what we didn't like about the old forums.