Hooked

Broadband speed = 0.26 Mbps

Hello,

My broadband speed is 0,26 Mbps ......

Here is the BT performance test result :

screen1.png

Here is the attenuation info from the router :

screen2.png

One month ago it was around 7 Mbps. I went on holidays and when I am back it's 0.26 Mbps.

I haven't changed anything and I am on the master socket.

I tried to take the BT test further but it asks to change the broadband username/password in the router settings and if I do, I will lose them.

So I have 2 questions :

1. Can you help me with the speed problem ?

2. Do you know where I can find my  broadband username/password so I can run the BT test further ?

Thank you

Antoine

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Broadband speed = 0.4 Mbps

Hi @AntoineUK

You may want to edit the post as it shows your Plusnet username in the router details page.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AntoineUK
Hooked

Ok thank you, I edited my post.

Can anyone help me ?

Thank you

Antoine

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi,

Looking at your first post your router's connecting at just over 9meg, which is fine, and the BT test shows an IP profile of 8.26meg which is also fine.   What's your Plusnet "Current Line Speed" as shown on this link? ... https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Apart from that what about issues your end, if your testing over wireless have you tried Ethernet? 

AntoineUK
Hooked

Hi aesmith,

Ok I connected through Ethernet this morning and here are the results :

screen3.png

What do you mean by "your router's connecting at just over 9meg" ?

I am plugged right in the router, so I am pretty sure 0.2 Mbps 😕

--> Can anyone please help me ?

--> Also, can anyone tell me where to find the "broadband password" that is set by default in the router so that I can run the BT test further ?

Thank you

Antoinw

SpendLessTime
Hero

In the first post the data rate from your router details is shown as 1111/9360 which is measured in Kbps so your router is connected at

downstream   9.36Mbps

upstream       1.111Mbps

For the time being forget about running the BTW test that requires you to change the username/password in the router. (if you really want to run that test, BTW will tell you the BTW username and password on the next page when you click the continue button)

What is the Plusnet Line Speed as shown at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

This Plusnet Line Speed is the fastest that your downstream line can run and should be set to just below the BTW IP Profile download speed. But sometimes it is set too low and can be corrected by Plusnet staff on the phone or Chat. 

If this is the issue, once Plusnet and set it correctly and you have verified it, then you may need to disconnect  and reconnect to get that speed.

AntoineUK
Hooked

Ok here is what I get when following the link you gave me.

screen4png.png

I guess it means the speed is set to 8Mb but I still get 0.2 Mbps

Regarding the test for BT they do give me a username/password to use but I need the current password to be able to change it back once the test is finished (it is written in their own instructions).

Thank you very much for your help,

Antoine

SpendLessTime
Hero

The password for your router to connect to Plusnet is the same one as the password you used to connect to the Plusnet Portal to see the Plusnet Line Speed and the username is in format username@plusdsl.net were the username part is used to log onto the portal too.

So the portal speed is good so the fault is elsewhere.

Have you tried the Quiet Line test from the phone? Dial, preferable from a corded phone, 17070 and select option 2 for the quiet line test. Do you hear any noise? 

If so, log a phone fault with your phone provider and don't mention the ADSL issue just the noise on the phone line. If you use Plusnet for the phone the fault finding is http://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If that is okay, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets what type of phone socket do you have?

The aim is to plug the router into the BT test socket, if you have one hidden in the phone socket, so that any internal cabling can be taken out of the question and to see if the line speed improves.

AntoineUK
Hooked

Thank you for your message. In the meantiime I opened a ticket on the broadband troobleshooting website. They havent given any feeback but now I come back from a 2 hours walk outside and I find the broadband speed back to 7 Mbps ....

So I really have no idea what they did but it's all fixed now.

I hope it won't happen again, else I don't know what to do 😕

Anyway thanks a lot for your help

Antoine