Did you mean: 

Broadband so slow that is unusable - utterly useless

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Broadband so slow that is unusable - utterly useless

@Gandalf wrote:

Testing your line is indicating the SNR target is at 3db yet the margin is at 5db which sometimes points towards an internal wiring or equipment fault. Your connection is also quite intermittent...

@Gandalf,

Might I suggest that this rather points to local RFI?  If the TARGET is 3dB and the SNRM at the time you inspected it was 5dB then that implies 2dB less interference than was present at the time that the router last resynch'd.

This line was reported to be synched at over 11Mbps - however in terms of shipping data that can be slugged by a high level or data transmission brought about by RFI noise in the line.  RFI can cause connection instability which is exactly what the radius plot is showing.

If the CLT is green**, that rather points to an environmental issue within or close to the user's premises.  Typically the belief is that nothing has changed, but the deterioration of cheap PSU bricks used to power so many electrical devices can all too readily start blasting out RFI ... even though the appear to continue working.  In such situations poor extension wiring can act as a big aerial and pick up that noise and seriously mess with the ADSL signal.

** Is the line balance good?

At the expense of a little raw synch speed, moving the SNRM target to 6dB or 9dB might be enough to deliver sufficient stability for Alex to regain a usable service whilst the source of the problem is investigated as suggested below.

@Alex_Hamilton,

There is little point at this juncture in attempting to run DATA speed tests.  You need to keep an eye on your router stats, specifically the SNRM figures.  Which router have you got?  If it is compatible with router stats (see the link below) establishing persistent monitoring will provide confirmation or refute of my theory.

Please also take a look at the speed issues thread and advise on the state of any phone extensions you may have - cable type(s), how wired, is the bell wire present?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Gandalf,

Looking at your graph, it shows that I lost connection several times to day and also a few times last Saturday, yet I do not turn my router off.  Also, I have not been able to use the computer much to day, yet my usage monitor shows that I used 456MB.  I am guessing now, but based on monitoring my usage over several weeks I would say that I could not have used more than 60MB????Huh

I was using Thomson router, supplied by you in 2011, which has been left on permanently all that time.  If it is beginning to fail, is there a way to test it?  

I have now plugged in another Thomson router, also supplied by you, but hardly ever used. In view of your remarks re: RFI noise I have disconnected the cordless telephone. Its cradle was next to the router on my desk.

What are SNRM figures? How do I monitor them ?

Many thanks for the assistance.

Best,

Alex

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Alex,

That plot shows the PPP session connections.  They drop if synch is lost - nothing to do with you turning the router off.

TG routers - that's good news, especially if one is the TG582n with the 10.2.2.B firmware.  The TG routers work well with router stats which you can download using the link below and use the other link as a guide to configuring RS - one day I will re-write that!

In answer to your specific questions here's a boiler-plate response...

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Also when you notice issues...

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Personally I would not have disconnected the DECT phone UNTIL AFTER you have established monitoring and started to profile / confirmed the problem is RFI.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Guys,  My useage monitor has gone - AGAIN!!  I have rebooted the router, but it is still not working. Is there an end to all this?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your time on the phone Alex. I've created this ticket on your account following our conversation.

In regards to your broadband connection, as discussed I am very sorry that you are having connection problems. We'd like to help get this fixed as soon as possible for you, so that you can continue to use your service without any issues.

I'd recommend trying the test socket once more, and if you're still having connection problems please report this to us at http://faults.plus.net

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Anoush,

After running OK on the spare router for a day, I connected the original router last night and I could not do anything. Just about managed emails, but the browser would not download any pages!!  Yet all the lights were on on the router and Thomson Gateway showed that I was connected.  As soon as I reconnected the spare router everything was back to normal. This points to the router fault.

May I now offer a grovelling apology to you and your team for misplaced rants etc. and thank you and them for the help and support they gave me.

Another piece of good news is that the usage monitor is back!!!!

Thanks again and best regards,

Alex 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Happy hear that Alex, no problems Grin

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet