Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband so slow that is unusable - utterly useless

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Broadband so slow that is unusable - utterly useless

Downloading Win10 update and after a full hour it managed only 4%, so I had to abandon and it has been like that for several days. Some websites time out without even appearing.   Interesting to read Rebecca's post about her difficulties with websites that needed interaction. I cannot do my banking, share reporting, insurance or anything serious, which I need to do daily.  I know that everything is absolutely perfect at your end, but  I have had enough of the bad service.

Alex

21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband so slow that is unusable - utterly useless

Looking back at your previous posts the first question is whether you are still on limited usage package and have you reached the limit

The second question is what are your line stats (speeds, attenuation and noise margin)

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Alex, sorry that you're having problems with your connection.

Your line stats suggest the line is quite good, but the Mean Time Between Errors is a little lower than I'd like to see:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 19.8 32.3
SNR Margin: 6.0 3.0
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 133 241
Speed: 1184 11552

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 864 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 691
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2215
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 160

What kind of speeds are you currently seeing please?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Chris, I cannot tell you what speed I am "suffering" because your web page keeps timing out. Is that relevant anyway. I cannot use the computer, so let me guess that the speed is on par with 56K dial up modem! The data you sent is interesting, but I do not need to know that, nor can I do anything with it. Alex
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Alex,

Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Ethernet cable for PC; wi-fi for mobile and neither woks!
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Oldjim, I cannot test anything with such slow connection. The PROBLEM IS NOT AT MY END!!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What I asked isn't affected by the speeds you are seeing - to repeat the outstanding bit

are you still on the limited usage packet and could you have hit the usage limit

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

The connection has returned to normal. Just tested with Broadband Speedchecker - Download 8.7Mb/s; Upload 1.04Mb/s.  I have not done or changed anything since reporting this. I suspect that you have not done anything either, so what is going on, please.  I am not saying that this has solved my problem, because this is not the first time in the last few days that this has happened.  

Alex

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It could be one of your devices downloading or uploading large amounts of data and slowing your connection for other devices. 

Answering @Oldjim 's question and providing routerstats will help to determine this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Testing your line is indicating the SNR target is at 3db yet the margin is at 5db which sometimes points towards an internal wiring or equipment fault. Your connection is also quite intermittent...

I'd recommend two things; try plugging the router into the test socket as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 also try a different router if you can.

If you continue to experience problems then please report the fault to us here: http://faults.plus.net

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

It's gone dead again - 21.10hrs! It's not possible for another device to perform a download without me knowing. My usage monitor works.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have you tried the checks I posted above?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

I am on limited usage and I am nowhere near my monthly allocation. Do not understand your second question. How do I find "line speed" attenuation and noise margin?

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Anoush,  When I tried to log on at 21.10hrs the connection was so slow that I had to give up. Then at about 22.00hrs I tried to reply to you on my mobile and it behaved as if the connection was OK.  Just checked it on Broadband Speed checker and Download speed was 8.22Mb/s and Upload 1.05Mb/s from a server in Nottingham.  However, I am worried about your comments re: intermittent connection, because that is probably what it is.  I have another router and I will try it.  Connecting to the main socket means lugging heavy computer downstairs, because it has no wi-fi and the ethernet cable will not reach.

However, there have been no changes to internal wiring, so I hope it is the router.  I will report back when I have completed the tests.

Best,

Alex