cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slow speed

jayare
Dabbler

Broadband slow speed

I would be grateful for help to understand my problems with the broadband speed issue.
Metronet Paygo option 2
Liphook exchange which www.top10-broadband.co.uk tells me supports line speeds up to 3Mb
My download speeds during evenings are always in the region of 800-1000kbps.
A check at 1030 this morning using the www.broadbandchoices.co.uk speed-test gave 1671kbps which is the highest I've seen.
My computer is connected via a Netgear DG834G v2 router.
My friend living about 300 metres away (closer to the exchange) also has an '8Mb' Metronet contract and manages to get 4.13mbps download and 0.37 upload speed on his connection.
I'm puzzled as to why my connection is so much slower.  I would welcome helpful suggestions on what I should do to improve my connection speeds to a more acceptable level.
29 REPLIES 29
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband slow speed

Firstly, make sure all of the used phone sockets in your premises are filtered. Then ensure that if possible your ADSL hardware is plugged in to the master socket and not via any kind of extension wire. Unfortunately this is about as far as you can take it without getting into rewiring your internal phone wiring, though there are guides on the internet should you wish to investigate further.
Hope this helps,
jayare
Dabbler

Thanks for your speedy comments.  Our house is some 40 years old and I suppose the wiring was installed when built.  The main computer is installed via a filtered main socket with one other plus a laptop on a wireless network
I guess I will have to live with the slow speeds I get.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If that's the case it might well be worth investing in a filtered faceplate - there's a few discussions on here that have mentioned a couple of models. This, in place of your existing master socket's front plate will disconnect all of your internal wiring from the broadband, meaning that though you can only use the master socket for the router, you should not get any interference from any elderly wiring.
I believe this one is rated quite highly, and shouldn't be too hard to replace... be careful though as the master socket is officially the property of BT.

Hope that offers an alternative,
jayare
Dabbler

Thanks again Matt for your helpful advice. I'll get a filtered faceplate and see if that improves matters.  If not i'll live with the slow speeds as I'm not a great downloader of internet software or music.
Kind regards
p.s. Like the buttonhole!
jayare
Dabbler

Whilst waiting for a faceplate to arrive, I've had a look at other slow problems people have with their broadband service.
Lots of references to raising a ticket to request DSLMAX to improve linespeed in advance to an exchange speed upgrade.
Is this something that could help me? and if so how do I do it?.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It's a fixed rate 1Mbps product which would possibly explain the speedds, although I'm unsure how you would have got the rest in your first post.
If you would like, I would be more than happy to upgrade you to the faster speeds. Looking at your line conditions, you should see a considerable boost!
jayare
Dabbler

Thanks James for your comments.  Most certainly a speed upgrade would be most welcome. The latest check I did gave 925kbps download.  Let me know if you need me to do anything.
With hope, Regards!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

James has actually left for the weekend, but I'm more than happy to place this order for you. It should complete on Monday morning and then you'll have around 10 days while the line settles down at it's new highest speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jayare
Dabbler

Quote from: PJ
I imagine if you weren't already on MaxDSL Matt would have mentioned this.

Thanks for your interest PJ.  It looks like I may have been stuck with a 1Mb connection speed since I signed up with Metronet. I was so pleased initially with the increased speed in the move from a dialup service I have never checked until recently how fast my service was. I always assumed 'up to 8Mb' meant we got near to that sometimes! I must read more technical articles instead of enjoying my retirement!  Regards JR.
jayare
Dabbler

Great news Chris.  By all means process a speed increase request on my behalf and I'll monitor the change and report.
Kind regards JR.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Already placed Wink
Might be worthwhile powering down your router on Sunday night and then turn it back on Monday morning. It can help ensure the profile doesn't get 'stuck' at the previous speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jayare
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.  Will do as suggested and power down Sunday night. Regards JR
James
Grafter

Hi Jayare,
The order has now siccessfully completed and you're currently syncing with your exchange at a speed of 3040Kbps.
That's led to BT profiling you at 2500Kbps, which I've just mapped across our systems, so hopefully you should see a bit of an improvement when your reboot your hardware.
jayare
Dabbler

Thanks James,  Have just checked with a number of speedcheck programmes and see higher speeds than previously.
Download reading are in the range 1488 - 1798
Upload readings 296 - 379.
One site shows me 759 metres from the exchange.
Will monitor my readings for the next week or so and let you know what I get.
Many thanks for your efforts so far.
Regards JR