cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slow and no dial tone

Asterix187
Grafter

Broadband slow and no dial tone

My home phone has had no dial tone for over a week and my internet is running at 0.1 mbps. Very annoying!!
Have tested everything in the house and unplugged everything. Checked for damage on cable from pole to house and nothing looks bad. Apparently though its a fault in my house so I have to pay for the engineer... very annoyed but lets hope its not me and it is a BT fault....
that's all, just venting....
24 REPLIES 24
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband slow and no dial tone

Have you tried a known wiorking phone in the test socket with nothing else connected.
If there isn't a dial tone then it isn't a fault in your property.
Have you reported it as a phone fault to your telephone service provider which is what you should have done
brokenthumb
Grafter

Just to add if you follow Jims advice, you can report a fault confident the engineer will not charge you. I had a similar problem with BT around a year ago, I had to agree to possibly pay over £100 if the fault was internal. Confident of the problem, I agreed, he turned up, spent two hours trying to find a chargeable internal fault, gave up, went outside and fixed it in 10 mins!
x47c
Grafter

Just to say it is indeed possible to have really bad broadband and no dial tone.
If one of the two wires coming into your property is broken - and it does indeed depend on which one it is - a situation arises where the broadband will still work albeit very badly - but you are unable to make/receive a voice phone call
Additionally the exchange dslam will have reduced the ADSL sync rate and IP setting very considerably.
As other have said you need to fix the voice fault first - then sort out the broadband speed.
You may find the SNR margin has been upped by the exchange due to the fault and will need to be reset by plunet/BT once the fault has been fixed and the line can be re-tested for its stability
It's all happened to me................
Most likely place for an external fault is inside the street box (assuming there is no obvious damaged like a branch through or rubbing against an overhead line)
Asterix187
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the replies. Plusnet is my phone provider and I have reported it. I have plugged a phone into the main socket coming in and still nothing. There is nothing within 20 metres of the cable from the pole to my house so no chance of anything being rubbed etc. I have also checked the cable from where it gets to my house, down the wall and into the house and cannot find anything wrong.
On the broadband side it is syncing at 0.1mbps and my IP setting is something like 400k whereas its normally 6000k ish. It disconnects every few hours as well.
Thanks for the tips, I understand my speed will start to rise over the first 5 days once my line is more stable.
I think I will have to bite the bullet and get the engineer out, the wife isn't too happy with having no home phone to natter on!!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you tried the test socket - found by removing lower part of the master socket
Asterix187
Grafter

I don't have any socket like that. My phone loop in the house was fitted with some kind of microfilter that filters the whole internal system with a specific other line off for my broadband connection. The main socket is just a normal type.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you post a photo of it and is it a BT filtered faceplate or is it a filtered socket like this http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTsocketFILTEREDwithRJ11.html
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: x47c

Just to say it is indeed possible to have really bad broadband and no dial tone.
It's all happened to me................
Most likely place for an external fault is inside the street box (assuming there is no obvious damaged like a branch through or rubbing against an overhead line)

Me too, and it was a fault at the junction under the street.
Asterix187
Grafter

I've been away for a few days and when I got home today the phone has a dial tone!
However, my internet is still very slow. I can only assume this is due to the ADSL sync rate and IP setting etc being set low due to the bad connection. I am not sure if plusnet can force a quicker up in speed or if I have to wait for a few days for it to pick back up.
Thanks everyone for your advice! Its great to see such a heplful community!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you post your router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) and the results of a BT speed test please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Asterix187
Grafter

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,544

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 39.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 118

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

BT Test results
Download speedachieved during the test was - 115 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4544 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Asterix187,
If you have no dial tone then you should first troubleshoot your phone connection before thinking about your broadband, as any phone problem will invariably affect your broadband. Have a look here for how to tackle phone problems.
Jojo Smiley
Asterix187
Grafter

Hi,
My phone now has a dial tone from today and that problem is all fixed. The issue is now that I have a low IP profile (135k) due to the issues I had previously. I was just wondering if there was anything that could be done or do I just need to wait for it to increase on it on.
Thanks
Danny
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Whatever you do don't reboot your router - the BT systems need to see your connection being totally stable. How long is it showing you've been connected?
It looks like your target noise margin has been pushed up to 15. I think you have a strong case for asking for that to be reset.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)