Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slow and dropping connection!

rsd
Grafter

Broadband slow and dropping connection!

Hi,

I frequently have broadband problems (I've posted here from time to time when going through a 'bad patch'). This past week they're happening again.

The connection periodically (several times a minute) drops/slows. Sometimes it'll go for a minute or two - this means that our TV (when streaming - Netflix) gets upset when it reaches the end of its buffer, but event the rapid drops cause problems with erratic lags on online games (our daughter likes slither, but can't play it when this happens).

Now, before people chip in and tell me its my router, or try to explain how wifi works, etc, etc, we've been through that process countless times, and each time its problems with the plus net service - or at least, if I persist long enough to get through to someone in customer service who will take the time to look at the issue, it gets fixed without me having to reset the router, etc.

I tried to call, but 30+ minutes wait time, I tried to email, but can't find an email address. Online chat is closed, but is also pointless - see my issue re connection dropping erratically, and I can't find a support form. So, here I am.

In the past I've managed to get support for this by being stubbornly determined and persisting until its fixed. Is it possible to shortcut the usual process and just get this fixed please?

54 REPLIES 54
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Broadband slow and dropping connection!

Hi there,

My advice would be as follows : 

you've not given a lot of information to go on. There are multiple reasons for your problems so this is what I'd do . 

First log into your account at www.plus.net with your user name and password .

Then go here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

follow the process through . It's a bit longwinded but eventually you'll find that you've been able to register your fault. 

if you're  lucky one of the plus net support staff who lurk in these forums will pick up your post and your fault ticket , connect the two, and then ask further relevant information. Other Forum contributors may have advice once you have given more information. 

For the record

1) There's  never been an email to contact Plus Net with problems - same with all isp's you'll probably find.

2) If you can ring outside busy periods waiting times will be shorter 

3) chat - seems to work if you waiti. It's never closed outside the stated opening hours but can sometimes not show up depending on the browser you use, or if they are really busy chat will show as busy. 

So patience is a valuable commodity when dealing with support! I always take a chill pill first when attempting to contact them or doing something else while waiting  

Good luck 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. Welcome to the community forums.

Our tests aren't showing any issues and we can see your router in sync at 55mbps.

In addition, the line between your router and your exchange seems to be stable:

Do you have problems using a wired connection to your router too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rsd
Grafter

Hi, Yes, I can run a speedtest and get similar responses.

Its not the speed most of the time, its the unreliability. It'll be fine for a few hours, then we'll go through a few hours where the connection drops erratically, i.e. every few secs we'll have slowness (very 'laggy'), other times it'll be fine for a few mins, then drop for a minute or two and then come back.

During these periods (a few times a day, lasting for 10 mins to an hour or two), online games are not possible. Neither is streaming....that will survive the few secs here or there, but the loss of connection for a couple of mins upsets it.

Basically, ok when its ok, but erratic and unreliable.

rsd
Grafter

Performance has been terrible again this evening, since 17:30 until now (18:00). It's so slow, even web browsing is painful (google takes 10 secs to load, BBC news pages over 30 secs).

For the past 10 mins I've been running speed tests, speed is from 1.3 mb/s to 2.2 mb/s, latency from 50ms to 142ms. The same test is 35-45 mb/s when we have normal performance - i.e. same equipment, same connection, etc.

This has been ridiculously (unusably) bad for the past few days (at least 4 days), but it has been deteriorating for weeks.

If you check our records, you'll see this happens periodically - it gets really slow and erratic, we log the support issue, we insist, we complain and then it all gets better and stays good for a few months.

What is going on?

rsd
Grafter

An update - from about 20:00 to 20:20, slow performance continued, around 1 to 2 Mbps. Then it slowed further, speed tests reported 0.39, 0.29, 0.1 and 0.13 Mbps. Then no connection for 5 mins, came back about 20:38, I was getting between 3Mbps and 33Mbps. It then stabilised at 8 - 12 Mbps for 5 mins and now we're back to around 20+ Mbps.

This is the first time I've run speed tests for an extended period to see what is going on, but this is a typical pattern of erratic performance, connection drops and instability.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @rsd

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed.  I have run test on your phone line for both broadband and your phone line, which is not highlighting any external fault. It is also showing the speed going down the line is within estimates and should be reflected on a wired connection.

Please can you advise if it is on a wireless connection or wired connection that you are seeing the  drops in both speed and connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
rsd
Grafter

I can't see the relevance of you testing my line several days after I reported the problem, particularly when I've said its intermittent.

Whether the line was ok when you tested it or not, it wasn't ok on the days I was getting 0.5mb speed and drops every 30 secs. Today is another 'laggy' day. I can't even log into Office365.

It is s wireless connection - I hesitate to say that as I know its a license for people to jump in and start telling me that's the problem, we'll I'm pretty sure its not as that doesn't explain the intermittent nature of the issue and how it managed to get fixed last time without me doing anything other than complaining a lot!

Anyway, several weeks have now passed, speed and reliability is utterly rubbish. When its just slow and unreliable I put up with it, when it becomes unusable I come back here - not sure why I do as it doesn't seem to be getting me any closer to a resolution!

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi there @rsd

These things happen for all sorts of reasons, but if you don't rule out a line fault then you can't move on to diagnose other causes. The line needs to be tested from Plus Nets end and they can't only report to you what they find.

Have you checked your line for noise? That's the most common reason for internet problems and is sometimes related to poor weather, if for example water is getting into joints.

Your problem COULD be due to  poor wireless connection, despite your feeling that it is not. What have you done to prove that it's not your wifi that is at fault?

The best advice is to follow the fault checking process here through to the letter. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@rsd

You seem determined to believe that it is not a wireless problem despite all the evidence suggesting that it is. Do you not have any means of testing it with an Ethernet cable during these 'laggy' periods? Unless you can (or are willing to) do this then it will be very difficult to resolve your problem. You are quite right, there is no point coming back here if you are determined that you know what the cause is already and refuse to follow suggestions. It is quite reasonable for a wireless signal causing drops to be intermittent. If you download an App such as WiFi Analyser on a phone or similar device you can see signals going up and down, especially if a near neighbour is using the same channel.

The fact that it improved in the past without explanation could of course have been nothing but co-incidence.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rsd
Grafter

Ok, I won't come back here - thanks for your completely unhelpful and rude response.

I'm sorry for you if this is how you get your kicks!

If there's not going to be any attempt from plus net to resolve the issue, just arrogance, then I'll just go somewhere else.

One customer lost, a damaged reputation and lots of people being told to avoid plus net at all costs, I hope it was worth it.

By the way, if you can share the evidence that you seem to have that this is a wireless problem, please do show it to me.....An yes, I have been willing to go through the support rigmarole - but don't bother to engage and ask questions, look at my account history, just jump right in with arrogance.

Anyway, please don't reply to this, I'm not paying my bills for a service that doesn't work and then get talked down to when I try (for several weeks now) to get the problem sorted.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Do you realise @rsd that most of the users of this forum are not Plus Net employees and some are not even customers of the company either?  Like myself they are here because of our interest in helping others to solve problems in an area whch is of interest to us. This can sometimes take a long time and take a lot of effort, all of it provided for free. This forum is not the official Plus Net customer support channel, its simply a place where anyone can ask for help.  Help is offered in good faith, and sometimes it gets a bit frustrating offering support to people with problems when it appears that they have not gone down the official channels and jump to the conclusion that their problem is anyone's fault but their own. . Personally I would be inclined to agree  that you need to look at all issues to do with wifi before proceeding . perhaps several times as something appears to have been missed.

Good luck with solving your problem. 

rsd
Grafter

Yes, I do appreciate that, but still, if something constructive can't be said then leave the thread alone.

I have exhaustively gone through diagnostics, all of the above, tried multiple routers, devices and types of connection. Plus net support now all this, its in my records. So, having gone to extensive effort we are left with only one thing that it can be - the connection outside the property - and yes, I have had an Openreach engineer recable and retest the internal wiring!

This forum 'is' the official customer support channel, at least, it is the only channel that a plus net support customer can use when the phone lines don't get answered (I argue that a 45 min wait is the equilvalent of them not being answered, not when you're onto the nth time you have to call about the same issue) - same for the online chat which often doesn't work and has long waits too (my connection is so unreliable anyway).

Clearly plus net support engineers are on here as someone is saying that they're running a line test. I am here to get in touch with them. As I say, several weeks and still rubbish broadband is not acceptable!

So, yes, I appreciate that volunteers are on here, but there's no call to weigh in and tell me that all the evidence (which doesn't exist) is that its my wifi when all the evidence (which does exist) clearly rules that out. Again, my frustration is not targeted at the volunteers, but at PlusNet support who are not dealing with this issue, not contacting me, just saying that they've tested the line several days after I've collected a solid set of 0.5mb stats.

Do, I stand by what I say, rubbish service, and (with evidence) pretty rubbish support. I'm not sure how many more weeks I need to wait until someone can sort this out.

And for the record, I've been through the same process about 6 months (or so ago) - eventually it gets escalated, someone finds a problem (they did last time) and fix it. I then get really angry that I had to do endless diagnosis and lobby them, they apologise and say it won't happen again!

So, please, no more volunteers telling me its my wifi, but please will someone from PlusNet (who have access to my records) please get this sorted!

rsd
Grafter

Hi,

Its been a couple more weeks and my broadband is still ridiculously slow at times. Sometimes normal/fine, but erratic.

I'm still waiting for some support - what do I need to do to get a support engineer to resolve this????

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I'm still waiting for some support - what do I need to do to get a support engineer to resolve this????

As has already been mentioned your issue appears to be internal to you. PN staff have already shown you your line is stable and connected at a good speed.

On the other hand you have not followed other peoples advice, not tried a WiFi analyser, don't say what equipment you are connecting with, and also don't say what else is happening on your network when you have the issues. How many other devices are connected? Could they be downloading updates, others playing data intensive games, streaming films or other data, devices backing up to online/cloud based drives or many other possible issues?

Apple for example have recently got into much criticism by deliberately slowing down older versions of their devices, I am sure they are not the only ones.

No ISP is going to send an engineer to help you with Wi-Fi issues, and despite what you may think, this is a public forum, and not an official support channel.

The internet has brought many great things, alas it also requires a greater level of understanding to get the best out of it, and more technical knowledge than ever, the people who have posted on here have been trying to share that knowledge.