cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband signal constantly dropping out and very slow

Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Broadband signal constantly dropping out and very slow

Hi guys, so the last two weeks my wifi has been appaling. Much much slower at all times, and often completely unusable. 

I don't know if its due to Covid and people using more internet at home as the timing fits. 

I can't stream anything, no video calls, can't download photos on my phone. Its super tough right now as I'm at home with a 3 year old on my own in isolation and family are hundreds of miles away. 

I've been with plusnet almost 2 years and hadn't considered changing supplier until now but its so bad I can't stream anything which given the currently situation is tough as I want to stay on top of the news. 

Any support greatly appreciated 

Thanks in advance 

Jen

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband signal constantly dropping out and very slow

Welcome to the forums @Jmsmileychic . As you have posted on the ADSL board. I assume you are not on Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC).

To give any of the members on here a chance to help you, can you please have a look at this thread, and follow it as closely as possible : https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501

John
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Your connection looks solid generally, but there have been a couple of drops which leads me to think this is probably wifi. Please, if you can, try a wired connection for testing to see if you see any improvement?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Hi, thank you for your reply. I've tried a wired connection and had absolutely no improvements. I can't stream or connect to anything. It either doesn't load at all or takes 5 minutes then plays in 10 second chunks broken up with minutes of waiting in between. Emails accounts are taking up to 5 minutes to load and I just tried to open up a new email to send and have waited over 10 minutes but it just keeps freezing.
All my devices have suddenly slowed to an almost grinding halt in the last 2 weeks. I now disconnect so I only have one device running but it honestly makes no difference. I'm really struggling with this as alone at home with a 3 year old and also cannot work as a consequence of this. I can't video call any family or friends with my little boy or use educational materials to continue his learning during this period.
I'm almost crying writing this...

I have always been happy with the service and understand there is potentially greater demand right now but I'm really cut off as a consequence. If this cannot be addressed I am seriously thinking I need to swap to another supplier as even posting on here I am having to use mobile internet as the page won't load.

Please please help
Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Sorry meant to say, i haven't got the cables to try that kind of connection.

Ive done a wifi speed test on several occassions today and I'm consistently getting the following results

0.07 mbps download
0.68 mbps upload

Really struggling here Sad
jab1
Legend

@Jmsmileychic Have you tried to follow the link I posted above? Sight of your router statistics may give us more of a clue.

John
Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Hi there

This is the info i got from logging into my router online and selecting help desk. The link to router stats just sent me to a generic menu.

I hope this is right.

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:1 -

Product name:Plusnet Router2 -

Firmware version:7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet4 -
Board version:F@ST2704N5 -

Mode ADSL6 -

Uptime:0 days 23:00:117 -

Data rate:336/4168 -

Maximum data rate:344/4569 -

Noise margin:6.9/2.410 -

Line attenuation:55.9/60.512 -

Data sent/received:196.9M/1.5G20 -

Wi-Fi network/SSID:PLUSNET-R6M9FC22 -
Wi-Fi connections:Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled23 -

Wi-Fi security:WPA224 -

Wi-Fi channel:125 -

Firewall:Default26 -

MAC Address:34:6b:46:a6:e9:9727 -

Software variantVersion 1.028 -

Boot loader:7.275.11
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that info, @Jmsmileychic 

First things first - I would edit out your Serial numer in line 2, and you user name in line 7.

John
Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Thank you John Smiley
jab1
Legend

The only other thing that strikes me is your u/s SNR - that looks horribly low for your attenuation figures - but I'll go back and try and make more sense of them in a bit - the formatting of the data makes it a bit hard to read.

John
Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Sorry I'm trying to do this from my phone on mobile internet.

I've edited now so hopefully it's easier to see now.

Thank you for taking the time
jab1
Legend

@Jmsmileychic Thanks for the edit - things a a bit clearer.

From what I can see, you are on a long line, only on an ADSL1 connection, with a stupidly low SNR. This needs further investigation by Plusnet.

@plusnettony  - any further thoughts, or am I going the wrong way about this?

John
jab1
Legend

@Jmsmileychic Without being too explicit, where are you, and do you know which exchange you are connected to?

John
Jmsmileychic
Hooked

Just looked it up and its says Cressington Park (LVCRE)
jab1
Legend

So, Liverpool/Wirral area?  Are you out in the countryside - your statistics suggest you are quite a distance away?

John