Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband phonecalls in my Usage breakdown

samo
Dabbler

Broadband phonecalls in my Usage breakdown

Hi
In my usage breakdown I have some usage of  "Broadband phonecalls". Interesting as I don't have anything to make broadband phone calls on...
Our deal is "Broadband only" and it's only me and my Wife here and we definitely haven't being making any VOIP calls.
So, what could this usage be?
Samo
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Broadband phonecalls in my Usage breakdown

Don't take the type as gospel. It is a "guess" at what the traffic is. It maybe that you used something that uses the same port range as bb calls.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Bit more than a guess really, it should be pretty accurate but there is always likely top be background traffic or a small amount of misidentified which might end up in the wrong sections.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
samo
Dabbler

OK, Thanks Chris and Mr. Biker
So, I know that there's always some background stuff going on and fair enough, it makes sense that it can add the odd bit of "misdirection" to the stats.
As a general question though,  I appreciate that it's difficult to be precise but at what point should any of this start ringing alarm bells?
We're only on the basic package (10Gb a month). For us now this is loads but I can see that there could be a point where this background stuff tips our usage over the limit.
Any thoughts?
S
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you start seeing large amounts of data when you are not using the system is when you need to be looking closer.
If it is only 1's of Mb then it is background "noise" if it is 100's then look carefully.