Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband outage

peter6000
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Broadband outage

Hello,
I see from the status page there was a big disconnect yesterday. My connection appears to have dropped at approx. 09:45 yesterday morning (going on the router log) and I've not been able to get it up since.
I tried pressing "Connect" on the router (plusnet technicolor TG582n FTTC) but thats just saying "Connection could not be established: Concentrator not reachable", and I tried rebooting the router via the web interface, and finally I powered both the router and OpenReach box off for over 30 minutes and they still didn't want to work! Symptoms are that the router won't show an internet light. The DSL light on the OpenReach box is steady. The phone line seems fine.
I logged the fault around 4pm-ish (ticket #91626851) but I've not heard a thing since which is a bit disappointing as it said I'd get SMS messages telling me the progress. Anyway, just logged in and see the last message saying:
"
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Thursday 18th September at 4:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the CSC - FTTC Faults - Auth until this time.
"
I might be a tad unimpressed if I'm looking at a four day outage? Tell me it isn't soooo!!  Cry
Thanks,
Peter.
9 REPLIES 9
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: Broadband outage

Hi Peter,
In some cases on FTTC, if the router attempts to reconnect continuously, it can provide a 'Concentrator not reachable' message after a certain number of attempts, which stops the connection being able to authenticate.
Leaving the modem and router powered off for 15 minutes, then attempting to reconnect would usually resolve this.
Let me know if this helps.
Dan
peter6000
Grafter

Hi Dan,
I just tried that - gave it 20 minutes - but still the same unfortunately!
peter6000
Grafter

...'cos I've got nothing better to do than think about this....
Since the OpenReach boxes DSL light is solidly lit, does this imply that is syncing correctly with whatever the next bit of kit is? And if that's the case, does this then imply that the problem is an authentication issue upstream?
And leading from that... what's changed? I believe I'm either in the last month of my 18month contract, or possibly it ended last month. Not sure. But just wondered if that might have triggered an issue.
Either way, outside of a physical fault, how difficult can this be to solve? Any possibility of an ETA that doesn't include the word "Thursday"?!  Cheesy
Thanks,
Peter.
DanHodby
Grafter

Sorry I must have missed the reply earlier, I'll take a look now.
DanHodby
Grafter

BTW are in the process of implementing the restoration of your service. I should expect you to be up and running soon, maybe tonight/tomorrow. If you aren't back online it may need a visit to the property.
I'll check on the status of the fault for you in the morning and any follow up actions.
Dan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: peter6000
Since the OpenReach boxes DSL light is solidly lit, does this imply that is syncing correctly with whatever the next bit of kit is? And if that's the case, does this then imply that the problem is an authentication issue upstream?
And leading from that... what's changed? I believe I'm either in the last month of my 18month contract, or possibly it ended last month. Not sure. But just wondered if that might have triggered an issue.
Either way, outside of a physical fault, how difficult can this be to solve? Any possibility of an ETA that doesn't include the word "Thursday"?!  Cheesy

Hi Peter,
Some good questions, which I'll try to answer based on what I believe to be correct - sometimes one of the best ways to get the right answer around here is to say something which is wrong and everyone will jump on and correct you...
The answer to both of the first questions is "Yes" - The DSL indicates that you are connected to the cabinet with out issue.  The "cannot reach concentrator issue" is I believe related to a failure of the cabinet equipment to successfully connect (authenticate) to the exchange equipment.
Nothing has changed, just twisted knicker elastic.
Solving this is not I suspect difficult from a technical perspective, just it needs and engineer to visit the cabinet to check stuff out / press the reset button!  Roll_eyes
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peter6000
Grafter

Quote from: Dan
BTW are in the process of implementing the restoration of your service. I should expect you to be up and running soon, maybe tonight/tomorrow. If you aren't back online it may need a visit to the property.
I'll check on the status of the fault for you in the morning and any follow up actions.

Thanks Dan! I was just about to say it isn't working just yet.... but I just clicked the "Connect" button on the router web-interface and it's connected! So, truly, thanks for getting that sorted.  Cheesy
Dare I ask what the issue was?
peter6000
Grafter

Hi kevin,
Quote from: Townman
Some good questions, which I'll try to answer based on what I believe to be correct - sometimes one of the best ways to get the right answer around here is to say something which is wrong and everyone will jump on and correct you...

^ did lol!
Quote from: Townman
The answer to both of the first questions is "Yes" - The DSL indicates that you are connected to the cabinet with out issue.  The "cannot reach concentrator issue" is I believe related to a failure of the cabinet equipment to successfully connect (authenticate) to the exchange equipment.
Nothing has changed, just twisted knicker elastic.
Solving this is not I suspect difficult from a technical perspective, just it needs and engineer to visit the cabinet to check stuff out / press the reset button!  Roll_eyes

All working now, and I probably walked past my cabinet in the last half-hour or so... I could've given it a kick if I'd thought of it! Cheesy
DanHodby
Grafter

To be totally honest I'm not entirely sure what causes it but like Kevin said it just required a quick visit to the exchange to press the reset button.
The majority of the time, this issue is resolved by a reboot, sometimes it just requires a bigger hammer Smiley