cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband or dialup?

techguy
Grafter

Re: Broadband or dialup?

Think you need to sit tight until the economic conditions improve and LLU build outs continue
James
Grafter

@Sean
Can you PM me your username please and I'll give you a ring?
I'm not going to try and convince you to move to Pro, but I think you could probably do with a chat about what's going on currently.
Rather sad to see our customers convincing another to move to a different service provider Sad
techguy
Grafter

Have to say, its been much better since I moved to Pro but I don't have such heavyweight requirements
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm on the same package as Sean I haven't had any of the issues that he has seen.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have attached a screenshot with three downloads running. I have allowed some time for them to settle. Notice my Plus Net webspace in the middle of the two example sites. Why are Plus Net telling me that it is a problem with my exchange??!! That is making me more angry than the problem itself!
Note full line speed is about 238Kb/s. The two example downloads were started and running at the speeds pictured before I started the download from my Plus Net webspace.
techguy
Grafter

Sean
I think they've been struggling with download site profiles at the min http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=broadbandnetwo so that ould be why as MS downloads and restricted as are Akamai (Edgesuite is one of their brand names)
As regards the third it would not be subject to traffic management as its from a homepage server which is on the network so thats why its racing along quite nicely.

Don't know why they are telling you its the exchange.

seanbranagh
Grafter

As you can see this is the speed of a good dial up connection. Thats not restrictions, thats a joke and has been going on for a lot longer than a week. I first posted about this problem on Jan 11th here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72704.0/topicseen.html
techguy
Grafter

Very odd indeed.
Maybe something they will look at when things are back to normal weather wise.
I gathered that James was getting in touch to try and help out, did this not help?
seanbranagh
Grafter

He has not contacted me yet. I am sure he is a busy man.
techguy
Grafter

I'm sure he will

I take it you've tried disconnecting and reconnecting to jump gateways, etc?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Tried everything that I know off even plugging an old usb ADSL modem in.
techguy
Grafter

Very odd.
I did just the downloads you did from MS and Apple through firefox and am getting 69-80 kB/sec transfer though when I repeat the test through IE downloading IE dropped to 31 kB/sec and Itunes stabilised about 44 kB/sec)
Could it be favouring FFover IE?
Might be worth downloading Firefox 3.0.6 from Firefox.com and giving it a whirl see what happens.
Might give a little more detail for PN to look as that could be a network issue
Can anyone else replicate what I'm seeing and help Sean out?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For comparison with the speeds you might get get on Pro I've tried repeating four downloads on my PAYG connection. I have a sold 8M sync.
The videos on your website came down at between 750 and a bit over 800 kB/s.
From Apple the speeds were fluctuating a lot, peaking at over 800kB/s but dropping as low as 550kB/s. The average was 659kB/s
BTW: I presume the videos are of your band with you on the drums.
Edit: Links to videos removed as it took Sean over has webspace bandwidth.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Could it be favouring FFover IE?

I will try on my linux box with firefox but not now as I am past my really slow time and my speed from microsoft is up to a respectable 100Kb/s
jelv please do not talk to me about speeds of 800Kb/s. You are making me feel sick Grin My line speed is only about 230Kb/s
As for the videos that is a bit of a sore spot. They are from 2006 of a band I played in for about 10 years. Was thrown out soon after this gig  Sad
They were part of the band website I used to have on my Plus Net space. They are still there because they are a good reference for me to test my conection at times like this.
Don't even use my Plus Net space for the sites I build now.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sorry - it wasn't to make you jealous.
What I was attempting to illustrate and totally failed to make the point was that even with a very high normal speed I'm not seeing much in the way of slowdowns on PAYG. I would have expected (hoped?) that slowdowns would affect those with the fastest speeds first. It wouldn't seem fair if people paying the same amount and limited by their distance from the exchange were made even slower before the more fortunate were brought down to a similar level.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)