cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband or dialup?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Broadband or dialup?

Not the 19Meg download speed I would be interested in. It would be the 2.5Meg upload speed. Then I could make better use of my webserver.
techguy
Grafter

Demonstrates how naff ADSL is doesn't it?
Makes you wonder why we are using it and haven't come up with something better, oh yeah, two letters, BT
I'd switch to Virgin cable if they didn't throttle it for all its worth (couple of friends of mine are on it and complain about how slow it can get)
Oh to be a billionaire and start my own Fibre to the Home ISP for real netheads.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Sean
Just checked my phone number in the O2 website as they have LLU at my exchange. It said that I lived too far away. Is this because they are using ADSL2+? Shorter range than ADSL?

The range is similar, but at longer line lengths there is no advantage. In fact it can even be more unstable.
Due to a significant number of issues on longer lines Be/O2 have set a limit recently.
In some cases (with the right evidence) they will allow an order through as long as you accept that there may be issues.
Evidence would typically be detailed stats (attenuation, SNRM etc. from your current service) that your line is actually better than the BT database suggests.
techguy
Grafter

I should point out I dabbled Waaaaaay back in March 2008
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Demonstrates how naff ADSL is doesn't it?

That says it all really.
ADSL is a very clever technology that allows early 20th century technology designed for simple speech, to be used for typically 6M data. But that is only with a perfect line connection. But we all know that the many many varieties of wire found between all the different houses, flats, etc etc with all those junction boxes before the exchange.
The government really should use this period of economic uncertainty to invest in the huge civil engineering project of laying fibre optic cable into the whole country. After all our Victorian/Edwardian  ancestors did it before us........
And NOT give it to BT, but find an alternative business model.
seanbranagh
Grafter

But what would be the point of giving us all 50Mb (or more) fibre to home connections if service proivders like Plus Net are just going to restrict our speed on just about everything anyway. If I had fibre to my house right now with Plus Net I would still be downloading from the windows update site etc at close to dial up speed!
Maybe the service providors and BT should get their act together and upgrade their own backbones first before falsely advertising connection speeds that we will not see at the best of times.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sean, to a certain extent you get what you pay for. If you upgraded to BBYW Pro you would see speeds barely slowing at any time of day or night.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

I know a PN staffer will jump to BT's defence as their ultimate employer (and so would I if they were paying my salary but they are a lot better than BT even if their policies can be a little crazy)
I've no doubt that BT probably have some of the finest minds in telecoms working for them BUT their shareholders it would seem will not allow them to spend money and therefore we are stuck with 20th century tech.
Sadly the government have pandered to them yet again by saying that some of the broadband needs to could be satisfied by wireless networks.
Herein lies the issue, contention is WORSE on wireless and most mobile contracts state that the contract is for access to the network and they are not liable if you cannot use your connection because of the failure of a local cell for example which is not a lot of use unless you live in a mobile home of course and I dont reckon two way satellite broadband will become that affordable anytime soon.
Really government via ofcom should have told BT either invest or surrender the national infrastructure you inherited.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Sean, to a certain extent you get what you pay for. If you upgraded to BBYW Pro you would see speeds barely slowing at any time of day or night.

I am paying for broadband. At peak times on some sites I am getting dial up speeds so I would definitely say I am not getting what I am paying for. My package is more expensive than BBYW Pro so I should not be seeing the speeds I am.
If I upgrade I will loose 8 off peak hours a day but still be left with the same peak time allowance.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Seam yes Prem 1 is 2 pounds more, but it is also a product that has traffic management that Pro does not.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

Loosing 8 hours off peak. Don't know if I could do that knowing that I could not switch back as my package no longer exists. Besides Plus Net have not yet admitted to me that the slow speeds are due to their restrictions!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Sean, James has told a considerable number of people currently on legacy packages that they can try an upgrade and if it doesn't suit them they will be able to swap back.
Why not PM him and ask if he will make the same offer to you?
mal0z
Grafter

I am paying for broadband. At peak times on some sites I am getting dial up speeds so I would definitely say I am not getting what I am paying for.

Have you PM'ed James Bailey  ?Huh
seanbranagh
Grafter

There is no point switching to BBYW Pro as 15Gb/month for 16 hours of the day would not suit me. I would rather put up with slow peak speeds to keep my 16 hours off peak when the speed is fine and I get by far the most use out of my connection. For the price of BBYW Pro I could get much better usage allowance with another provider.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

For the price of BBYW Pro I could get much better usage allowance with another provider.

But you wouldn't get anything like the same speeds at peak times from a another non-LLU provider. LLU I grant you would/should be better.