cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband only works with VPN

superl99

Broadband only works with VPN

For the last few weeks, on all of my devices, I've only been able to get my internet to work if I was connected to a VPN, and even then I'm getting regular enough drops that my phone is constantly switching to mobile data (I had to switch off Wifi Assist because it just ate through all my data!), and it's often slow to load certain websites and apps. I bought a new microfilter as suggested, but it made no difference. The phone line sounds completely fine, no noise or interference there. I always connect via wifi and don't own an ethernet cable to test the wired connection, but as I mostly connect via my phone, my main interest is in having functional wifi anyway. What else can I do to figure this out, and why would it work better with a VPN?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Broadband only works with VPN

Whilst Plusnet should be able to tell whether the broadband connection to your router is dropping you need to be aware that Plusnet are not responsible for the quality of your wifi signal. You say that you don't have an Ethernet cable, when you joined Plusnet you would have been given a router with a cable packaged in the box with it.

You may drop lucky but you may also find that to eliminate wireless problems you will need to diagnose your problem via a wired connection connected to a computer rather than a phone.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

superl99

Well, when I put in an official support notice, the tests showed issues with the broadband itself; the summary said 'High number of drops, possible DCN issue' (I can post the full report if that would be of any use) and they apparently put me on a static IP to see if this resolved the situation, but it hasn't. I since haven't been able to get through to support by phone (endless holding and I don't particularly fancy waiting 15+ minutes on hold to get to speak to someone), and online chat doesn't seem to have been online for about two weeks now.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

OK, we now have the full story.  You need to contact Plusnet unless a staffer comes along and picks up this post. I have just tried chat and it looks to be working: https://www.plus.net/help/chat/. In order to get this to work you must make sure that you haven't got a pop up blocker active, this is enabled by default in some browsers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

superl99

Yep, I managed to get through! Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I've made a change to the settings on your line which should stop the disconnections:

With regards to not being able to use your connection without a VPN, have you been able to replicate this issue via an ethernet connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet