Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Re: Broadband not working.

Matthew,
To confirm:  the router is off and disconnected.
Please perform the test and come back to me with any results (hopefully a solution!)
With the faults you have showed, would still like the engineer to come out, and my partner will be home on that day.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We've dial-tested your connection and everything works absolutely fine so there's no issues on our side.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Matthew,
So where next would you recommend?
Is this looking like a MTU issue, given that the account configuration and peering routes have been eliminated?
Has exchange congestion been ruled out?  Though one would expect that to hit all activity equally.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Townman
The router config has been checked remotely and the MTU is correct.
There's no exchange congestion showing and as you've mentioned if it was that everything would be affected.
I'm going to send a replacement router out as that's the only thing that hasn't been swapped from what I can see.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Cheers Matthew, thank you very much for the test.  Am I OK to continue using the router until the new one arrives?
Just to confirm:  when you have tested, you were able to access Netflix.com, theonion.com, and codeacademy.com?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes you can keep using your existing one.
The sites all load fine and Netflix streams work (Can't beat some classic Only Fools and Horses)
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Matthew,
Thank you for the follow-up and confirming my logic.  This one is proving to be a real mystery, I cannot help but think something has been missed.  Was anything found in the wire shark traces on post #21?

@David,
Please indulge me... can you please post a full set of stats again (router, BTw speed test further diagnostics and PN current speed - link below).  Having re-read the whole thread there was no explanation given for the markedly low speed test results compared to the synch speed in post #16.
You've asserted that the issue is seen the same over wifi and with a cable connected.  I do not recall asking the following question: "Was wifi disabled on the PC when the cable was connected?".  Connecting a cable to an otherwise wifi connected device - without turning off wifi - doe not assure that the wire will be used for connectivity.
I would like to ensure that wifi has been totally eliminated form the equation.  Would you mind double checking the problem and doing that above speed test with the wifi NIC on the PC disabled please.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What's been missed, probably:

• Uncapping the upstream

• Explaining the 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet_DEBUG firmware

The wireshark captures contain very little for the sites that don't work, not even any attempts to access the video streams. test1.pcapng, working youtube, is mostly full of "Quick UDP Internet Connections" traffic. In the not working captures, there were also some packets marked with "Ethernet frame check sequence incorrect", but the Ethernet FCS bytes are not present on most of the packets captured, so I don't know what to conclude from that.
It seems very unlikely that bad ADSL stats or wiireless would affect certain websites but not others.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs,
Thank you for the wire shark analysis.  That rather implies no real attempt to transfer data.  Do the traces show the lead-in to the attempted transfer?  The finger somewhat starts to point at the 'DEBUG' firmwear?
@Matthew,
Has a returns bag been requested to get the old router back for investigation?

Edit: correct predictive text 'typos'  Embarrassed

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The attempt to load the netflix website is the shortest and therefore easiest to look at, Test2.pcapng. There's a request for http://www.netflix.com/WiHome which receives a re-direct to http://www.netflix.com/browse but then the request for http://www.netflix.com/browse does not appear to get answered, or at least the computer doing the capturing never receives the response. I think it might have been more useful if the web browser was completely closed before starting the capture.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Well...
Received the following ticket message today:
"Dear Mr Gerrard,
Thank you for your patience in this matter. As our dial test team have been unable to replicate the issue although there is a fault open I have tried one more thing to resolve the issue.
The work I have done requires a factory reset to take effect. Could you please place a pin in the reset pinhole in the back of the router until the power light goes red.
After that please try to replicate the issue."

Although I have factory reset the router about 5 times since this whole thing started, this time it has resolved the issue.

On the one hand, I'm really pleased that everything works now.
On the other hand:  this has been going on for over two weeks.  I've said from the beginning that I didn't think it was anything on this end, and that somehow the issue was on the plusnet end, and now it appears that this was the case.
So.  We've got my time wasted, a router being sent out that isn't necessary, and an engineer booked for Friday who (while I would still like them to attend just in case as we did have that series of drop outs) would not have solved the problem anyway.
I've ended up cancelling Netflix, as I didn't know when this would be resolved.  I've had to drop out of an online course I was doing (able to start again at the beginning of October, but that's besides the point).  And I've had to waste reps time on this forum, on chat, on twitter, and over the phone.
My sincere advice:  speak to the rep who resolved this, find out what they did, and share it as a best practice.  Won't beg for compensation, but this is half a month that I've had to waste chasing this issue up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: davidhgerrard
Although I have factory reset the router about 5 times since this whole thing started, this time it has resolved the issue.

Hi David,
Something else must have changed too!  Would be very interested to see the current router stats... particularly the firmware version.  Roll_eyes
Kevin

davidhgerrard
Grafter

And now, despite my partner taking the morning off work to grant the BT engineer access to the flat, he has not turned up to investigate the line faults.
What a bloody shambles.  A total farce, and exactly what I expected would happen.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm checking what was done, the MTU looked fine but all my colleague did was remove the router from the TR069 system and re-add it. Doing this forced it to download the initial settings again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.