Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working & no support!

Highlighted
rsd
Dabbler

Broadband not working & no support!

Our broadband has been deteriorating for the past month or so. Slow and frequent drops. Now we can barely connect (drops within a minute) and whle it is connected it is soooo very slow... about 1 min and BBC news page loads text but no images, then connection will usually drop.

Its getting worse - just spent 5 mins with about a drop after 10 secs, 1 min to reconnect, then drops.

This is not acceptable! I logged a support issue 3 days ago, 72 hours later and no reply. How many weeks/months do we have to be ignored. How do we leave when plusnet won't even talk to us? Should we just cancel the DD and 'see you in court'?

Terribly poor service is barely excusable, but making it impossible to talk to you is way out of line!

Please advise what a paying customer should do?

8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 90

Re: Broadband not working & no support!

Hi there,

rsd wrote:

Our broadband has been deteriorating for the past month or so. Slow and frequent drops. Now we can barely connect (drops within a minute) and whle it is connected it is soooo very slow... about 1 min and BBC news page loads text but no images, then connection will usually drop.

My tests aren't detecting any issues. The connection from the exchange to the router is stable:

Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

rsd wrote:
This is not acceptable! I logged a support issue 3 days ago, 72 hours later and no reply. How many weeks/months do we have to be ignored.

You've logged a complaint online. That's not a fault ticket.

We aim to pick up online complaints within 5 working days.

Anoush

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 12

This rather looks as though it is a connection between device and the router issue. How is that device (TV / PC / Tablet?) connected to the router?

What other devices are connected? What concurrent use is being made of the internet connection?
rsd
Dabbler

I logged a complaint because I couldn't find out how to log a fault ticket. Where is it? I looked for a while, and checked again now, but no luck!

There is a chat option. When I tgried to connect, it took 10 mins, then told me I was 40th in line. After a 10 min wait I had moved up to 35th in line! So, I gave up, I'm not going to wait an hour and a half or more!

Same with calling, the phone system said that there was over an hour of waiting.

So, the only way to contact was via a complaint form. It did say I'd get a response within 24 hours, so after waiting 72 hours with no response, you can understand why I'm thoroughly hacked off.

So, before telling me I did it all wrong, consider that you are impossible to get hold off!

rsd
Dabbler

And as for the picture - looks nice, but doesn't reflect our user experience - poor (v. slow) connection, frequently dropping.To answer the question - wireless.

We've had plusnet for well over a year (possibly two now), and none of our devices that have problems have changed recently, and they all connect just find on other wireless connections, so it does seem to be the plus net broadband.

rsd
Dabbler

Townman,

Thanks for the reply.

It happens on all devices (TV, 2 phones, 1 tablet, 2 laptops). All of which have been working over the connection for quite a while, all are suffering identical deterioration symptoms.

Concurrent use - not much, given that the connection is so poor, we can';t use Internet at home for about the past month. So, there's usually only one device connected at a time.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 12

Whatever it is, it does not appear to be a connection stability issue. That helps to eliminate potential issues. Sight of your router stats would be useful please. Links to phone and broadband fault reporters can be found below.

Note that in respect of wifi, whilst there's no change to your set up a change in a neighbourhood could impact the performance of your wifi. Ideally neighbourhood networks work best when not overlapping which is why only channels 1, 6 and 11 are recommended. Someone deciding to pick something else could foul up things for everyone. Stations coming and going can cause your wifi to channel hop it set to auto. When the wifi does channel hop, it can take a while for connected devices to track the change and reconnect.

Which router are you using? The 2704n can misbehave on wifi when it's been running for weeks on end without a restart.

Edit: channel no typo corrected.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 90

I logged a complaint because I couldn't find out how to log a fault ticket. Where is it? I looked for a while, and checked again now, but no luck!

You can raise a fault ticket at http://faults.plus.net which is found from our connection troubleshooting pages here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

And as for the picture - looks nice, but doesn't reflect our user experience - poor (v. slow) connection, frequently dropping.To answer the question - wireless.

We can check you connection from the exchange to the router. It's likely the problem is caused by your wireless connectivity beyond the router.

We've had plusnet for well over a year (possibly two now), and none of our devices that have problems have changed recently, and they all connect just find on other wireless connections, so it does seem to be the plus net broadband.

I'd recommend to first try a wired connection. If that works fine, the next step is to run through wireless diagnostics by changing the WiFi channel in your router settings. If you're unsure how to do that, you can find a guide Here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
notinmyname
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Townman

It is channels 1, 6 & 11 that should be used, NOT 2, 6 & 11.

The upper end of the frequency range for channel 2 is 2428 MHz, the lower end of channel 6 is 2426 MHz, so there would still be some overlap. The top of 1 is 2423 MHz so avoiding overlap.

tellmamalogo.png