Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not fit for purpose

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Broadband not fit for purpose

OK. I'll give one of the Super Users a nudge this way when I see them online. We will sort this.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Deadyankee  There is nothing wrong with the broadband router connection, it is close to the maximum possible speed on ADSL2+ so new a filter will do nothing. 

Have you tried a different speedtest as I have found the BT one to be unreliable, it always reports zero upload on my connection. You say your broadband sometimes works so what speeds do you get when it does?

The problem must be down to the wifi connection to your devices,

All I can suggest you try is go into wifi  settings on the Iphones and ipad and forget the wifi network that they are connected to.  Then power down the the router for a minute or two, restart it and set up the wifi connections again. It may not help but worth a try.🤔

jab1
Legend

@Deadyankee , @RealAleMadrid  I agree with the last post, having had similar thoughts last night. The connection speed to the router is perfect, so the only culprits must be upstream of that - i.e.the actual devices. Having thought about it, there were a couple of users earlier this year with this problem, where a complete power-down of the iDevices restored the speed - I don't recall them having to 'forget' the networks or re-boot the router, but that could be done as a belt-and-braces remedy.

@Deadyankee Download and install the 'Speedtest-net' app, and try that.

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Cheers guys

I’ve already tried multiple speed tests and I know they are accurate as I’ve had to use 4g just to make these posts. Have also rebooted all devices multiple times, and powered down the router.

Last thing last night I logged into the router and rebooted it via that route and, fingers crossed, it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help and advice, very much appreciated
jab1
Legend

@Deadyankee Just for my curiosity, could yo psst that screen-grab again?

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Don’t seem able to add a photo now. There’s no attachment option. I’m losing the Plot or something changed overnight
jab1
Legend

OK - no worries

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

jab1
Legend

It worked!

What do your speeds look like now?

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Fluctuating between 5 and 39 mbps
I can use teams and stream music again!
Thanks for the assistance
jab1
Legend

In that case, you still have some kind of problem - a reliable speedtest should give a fairly constant result - see my automatic hourly ones:

Capture.PNG

The 39Mb/s is impossible on an ADSL line anyway.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Deadyankee wrote:
Fluctuating between 5 and 39 mbps

That result in it self indicates that the speed test results are highly suspect.  Even on your short line, there is no way that 39mbps can be achieved over ADSL. What can be stated categorically is that you cannot get 39mbps out of a link running at 24mbps.

Frankly here I would suspect one of the following...

• WiFi performance
  • Table / phone performance
  • Hidden data transfer activity

Which iDevices and which versions of iOS?

Are both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands using the same SSID?  Doing so gives some iDevices connectivity issues.

Note about not being able to attach images - the post editor on small display devices (for example phones) doe not have the rich text editor nor the attach file functionality (though I see it has the attachment guidance notes!).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.