cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not fit for purpose

Deadyankee
Dabbler

Broadband not fit for purpose

My broadband is constantly sub 3mbs and is now so bad that I have had to go to 4g just to write this post. I can’t use Teams and I can’t stream music. I have been a customer for 7 months and the hardware is new. It works occasionally but this is the norm. It is not fit for purpose. There’s no noise on my line. The router is fine, there’s just virtually no broadband coming into it. Can someone help?
26 REPLIES 26
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband not fit for purpose

@Deadyankee  Welcome to the forums. Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at THIS  post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Thanks

The wholesale bt speed test gives
Ping 43ms
DL 0.95 mbps
UL 0 mbps

Router stats
Data rate 1085/24381
Noise margin 8.8/3.2
Line atten 5.3/8.0

Line seems quiet
Don’t have a pc so can’t connect with a cable

Any advice gratefully received!
jab1
Legend

@Deadyankee Thanks for that info. Your ping looks OK, but your speed test certainly doesn't!

Your data rates/noise margins/attenuation look decidedly dodgy though. Any chance you could take a screen grab of the whole page and post it here - after obscuring any personally identifying details? Might just give a better overall picture.

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Cheers

hope this works ok6BC6D9DC-22A6-492D-B3BA-6E5126872B64.jpeg

steve 

jab1
Legend

Steve - are you next door to the exchange? Looking at your data in more detail suggests that you are - in which case are you on an 'exchange-only' line?

Irrespective of that, your connection speeds suggest you should be getting near maximum upload/download speeds.

What type of filtering is in place - a 'dangly' rats-tail filter or a filtered face-plate?

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Hi John

Yes, it’s 200 yards away! Filter is the little dangly sort. Always worked fine with Sky but there’s no Sky BB here

No idea if it’s an exchange only line, or how I’d find out. Will look into it
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Ah, ok, have now read up on exchange only lines and, yes, we must be on one as we are the nearest building to the exchange.

Frustrating, particularly as we are paying full price for an essentially sub dialup service.

thanks for helping me understand the issue

steve

jab1
Legend

OK Steve - thought you were sat in the exchange.😁.

It is possible the filter is damaged/broken - do you have a spare?

Your connection from the exchange to you looks perfect, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. I may have to request the help of a more experienced Community member if I don't have any bright ideas over the weekend, so bear with me.

John
jab1
Legend

@Deadyankee wrote:

Ah, ok, have now read up on exchange only lines and, yes, we must be on one as we are the nearest building to the exchange.

Frustrating, particularly as we are paying full price for an essentially sub dialup service.

thanks for helping me understand the issue

steve

OK - then I will have to ask a better informed individual, because your connection stats are perfect, and I personally can't explain the test results -sorry.

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Cheers. I’ll try and get another filter from somewhere
jab1
Legend

Another question (sorry) - what are you running these tests on? Unfortunately, Wi-Fi equipment can be notorious for such tests, and your current router is not exactly the best, either - although saying that, you should be getting better speeds than you are.

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

The test was on an iPad. Same on 2 iPhones

We don’t have wired devices. The router was supplied by Plusnet!
jab1
Legend

Thanks. Using iPads/phones doesn't explain the horrendous figures - unless you live in a mansion with the router in the basement and running the tests from the top floor at the other end of the house.😉

I understand the router was supplied by PN, and I'm not blaming it - at the moment - although it's not the best, it should still perform adequately in most homes.

John
Deadyankee
Dabbler

Ha! We live in a small bungalow and I can see the router and the exchange from where I’m sitting 😁

I’ll get a replacement filter ASAP and see what it does