Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband my way pro / line profile

gingle
Grafter

Broadband my way pro / line profile

Hi
Is it possible to request an engineer double check that I am on the right package? I ordered the pro package so I would have full speed (possible to my line) at all times, but I notice my DL speeds are slower, and my pings are higher at various times during the day.
I understand there are numerous factors at play here (I read the broadband speed article recommended) but as long as I know I'm getting the service I ordered and am paying for, then I'll at least be happy about that.
If this is possible, how do I go about requesting this double check?
Thanks Smiley
PS. Just to give you an idea, my DL speed just now, as shown by the speed test on the member site, is a mere 585kbps.
32 REPLIES 32
gingle
Grafter

Re: Can my IP profile be increased quickly?

Sorry to jump in the thread, but can you tell me where I can see my IP profile (and er, what is it is exactly?)
I did do a search, but basic info was not forthcoming.
Thanks Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@gingle
And then check your PN profile at the member centre https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required)
@mapletree
Very confusing, I've had to read 3 threads to get my head round this. All these issues are most likely related.
If I understood some earlier posts correctly, you've been monitoring your SNRM with RouterStats http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm ?
It would be extremely helpful if you could post a current Noise Margin plot.
Are you absolutely certain that you haven't lost sync since the 7th (2200K+ reported in the OP) ?
This new cable that you've got, what is it exactly & how long is it?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Your PN profile can be found here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
The BT speedtester needs your phone number and the user name from your router e.g. XXX@plusdsl.net
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mapletree
Grafter

Re: Broadband my way pro

Are you on DSL max or a fixed sync rate?  If you are not sure then ask PN or go to the member centre and select "Connection Settings" and then "High Speed Broadband".  This should tell you the PN profile.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a quick check what does this show https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
gingle
Grafter

Quote from: mapletree
Are you on DSL max or a fixed sync rate?  If you are not sure then ask PN or go to the member centre and select "Connection Settings" and then "High Speed Broadband".  This should tell you the PN profile.

I don't know if I'm on DSL max or a fixed sync rate. Who / what is PN?
The results of that link show this:
Telephone number:

Phone exchange:
    LEICESTER CENTRAL
Estimated line speed:
    3.5 Mbps - Checked on 2009-02-11 00:20:03
Current line speed:
gingle
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Your PN profile can be found here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
The BT speedtester needs your phone number and the user name from your router e.g. XXX@plusdsl.net

Thanks for the info Smiley
Another one - how do I find my router user name?
Anotherone
Champion

@gingle
As you've started your own thread it would be better if we dealt with all you queries etc. there rather than hijack someone else's thread.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Broadband my way pro / line profile

[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) merged gingle's posts into 1 thread]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion

First, to deal with the query from the other (now merged) thread, your modem/router login is <username>@plusdsl.net as per the information you were supplied when you joined PN (PlusNet). Your <username> is the first bit after the @ in your e-mail address  ie. <name>@<username>.plus.com   (You don't include the <> symbols by the way).
When you've run the BT Speedtester you will get your BT profile. Your PN profile that you got from the member centre (above) - misleadingly called line rate, determines your maximum possible throughput speed. This should be the same as the BT profile. Any change to the BT profile will be reflected in the PN profile usually within 12 hours. The throughput speed that you get from speed testers will always be less than the profile because of overheads, and can be considerably less at peak times if there is exchange or network congestion.
With the profile you've got, you are on maxDSL. You can get all the other information about your account by logging into the Member Centre.
Look at >Account details>Account Summary https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary which will tell yoy about your product.
I suggest you have a good explore around the member centre, which can provide useful information and allow to control your account.
If you believe you have any line problems, we are going to need you to post your ADSL LInestats from your modem/router - the Sync speed (Line rate), Attenuation, SNRM (Noise Margin) Power for both Downstream (DS) and Upstream (US).
HTH.
gingle
Grafter

Thanks a lot Anotherone, for the help and great info.
I ran the BT test and indeed it gives the same potential line speed as my PN profile.
Unfortunately it also gives a similar actual DL speed as I stated before of under 600kbps. If it's just traffic / peak stuff then that's fine. My initial query was to just ensure that I was on the right package. I've had a good look about the member site and it does state that my package is My Way Pro, although does this prove I am getting this actual service? That might just be the administrative info.
I've looked at my router (the Thomson one which was supplied) and the only info I can find is as follows:
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 2 days, 23:08:05
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,224
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 50,131,684
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 819
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 732

Internet
Connection Information

Uptime: 2 days, 23:00:26
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 73.05 / 453.34
Connection Settings

PVC Info (VPI.VCI): 0.38
Type: PPPoA
PPP Settings

Username: *******@*****
Password: ********
Connection Mode: Always-On
TCP/IP Settings

IP Address: **********
Default Gateway: 195.166.128.64
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
I'm not sure I can find "the Sync speed (Line rate), Attenuation, SNRM (Noise Margin) Power for both Downstream (DS) and Upstream (US)" I believe the modem is Thomson Gateway TG585 v7.
adie:blue IP address removed]
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: gingle
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,224 (Sync Speed or Line Rate)
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5 (Power)
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 54.0 (Attenuation)
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 6.5 (SNRM or SNR Margin or Noise Margin)
I'm not sure I can find "the Sync speed (Line rate), Attenuation, SNRM (Noise Margin) Power for both Downstream (DS) and Upstream (US)" I believe the modem is Thomson Gateway TG585 v7.

You've already given that information, just different terms for the same thing. I've marked the equivalent names in red in the quote. Down is Downstream, Up is Upstream.
David
David
gingle
Grafter

Thanks.
adie:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

this is probably the reason for the low speeds
Uptime:  2 days, 23:08:05
DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 4,224
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:  0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  31.5 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  20.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):  TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):  0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 50,131,684
CRC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 819
HEC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 732
You are getting far too many errors. Probably the automatic systems will increase your noise margin which should help a bit. However it would be a good idea to try and find the reason for the high error rate