cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out and very slow

Snellz
Hooked

Broadband keeps dropping out and very slow

Hi, is anyone else experiencing major issues with Broadband. Has been like this since before Christmas and is getting worse. I can watch the network drop and it states waiting for quality to improve. We can no longer watch anything on Amazon or rely on Alexa.
9 REPLIES 9
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out and very slow

Hi @ Snellz,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Apologies for the broadband issues, I appreciate the frustration this may be causing.

I've run diagnostic tests and these are not showing any fault, so the recommendation is to run some troubleshooting and connect via the test socket.as well as connect relevant devices by Ethernet cable (TVs, games consoles, laptops and PCs).

If the issue persists please come back to us.

Thanks - LF

Thanks - LF

Snellz
Hooked

I've done everything out end and it does nothing to make it better. I'm currently trying to watch Amazon Prime and the Wifi drops out every 15 to 20 mins. I can watch my wifi on my phone change as well and see the signal go. I've even done speed tests on my phone with the wifi and then it drops and reverts to EE network from Plusnet.
ettienne

Hi.  Having the same problem.  Have been told the same thing and nothing appeared to be wrong at my.  Techie suggested using the BT router I had prior to changing to Plusnet - it is marginally better - however - the drop out is inconsistent, annoying and mostly downright useless.  What about after 11pm or mid 2- 4am?  I have Ring Cameras which have been rendered useless as the bandwidth goes down as low as 4mbps.  As I have only transferred from BT recently - Plusnet (owned by BT) said to wait 12 days for the bet signal to be found - nope nothing has changed.  They will keep say that they can see we are being presented with 15mbps but this rarley gets anywhere near. (someone said they throttle the speeds - not sure how accurate that is).

I am considering in complaining and possibly moving to 4G router as we are quite rural.  BTW - BT was never speedy gonzalez but at least the bandwidth was consitent.

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Snellz from the information already provided, guess that wireless connection is problematic, but Ethernet (wired) is OK.

This sounds like a local wireless interference problem, e.g. a radio ham with burner, someone with a Wi-Fi toy driving around and occasionally passing near to your property, etc. 

It is possible for you to be pragmatic and isolate your smart TV from local wireless interface. Using two or more powerlines can be plugged into your household mains sockets so that your broadband services travel via your mains wiring. One of the powerlines shares its mains socket with your Hub and its Ethernet cable is plugged into the powerline. Now you can plug the other powerline(s) into any household mains plug and share its Ethernet cable with your smart device. This group of powerlines has an encrypted Ethernet connection to protect your privacy.

Hope this helps. Kind regards.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @Snellz

Based on what you've said it's likely the issue is to do with the wireless connectivity between your devices and the router. I'd recommend going through the steps shown here to try and resolve this including changing the wireless channel. It also may be worth downloading a WiFi analyser app on your phone as this can tell you which wireless channel is best in your area.

@ettienne Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your connection since you joined us.

Are you able to test a direct wired connection to the router to see if that offers speeds closer to 15Mbps?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
crimsom
Rising Star

Thanks to @MatthewWheeler for advocating using a Wi-Fi Analyser. 

Hello @Snellz and @ettienne the Wi-Fi Analyser from the Microsoft Store works well. Give its graphic diagnostics for 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi a try, its free. 

Hope this helps. Kind reagrds. 

ettienne

Hi Matthew. Nothing has changed since being with BT 15 days ago, no additions to my home network whatsoever - as I said I am using the Hub6 router so like what’s changed - errr PN. It is only since being with plusnet that these issues have come about. I recently had a communication from Plusnet absolving responsibility for the issues; suggesting the supply line is busy between 8 and 10pm does not answer why the bandwidth is both inconsistent and drops out between 11pm and 5am. Again I feel this is something PN is doing by restricting bandwidth during these periods - users with stronger signals probably won’t notice. I am greatly disappointed and now currently waiting for an unlimited data SIM to arrive so I can get stability - I have already tested with a limited data SIM on a 4G router and I get returns between 40 and 60 download and more upload speed than I get downloading with PN. Fortunately my sign up with PN includes free line rental so I reckon I only pay £6 per month more than I need. However my SIM is costing me £17 per month, not much more than proper fibre whenever it arrives in our rural area.
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @ettienne there are two links to BT line checks posted Here. The BTW diagnostic may reveal a line fault. 

Hello @Snellz here are examples of Wi-Fi Analyser results for your delectation

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

example of Connectedexample of Connected     example of Analyze 5GHzexample of Analyze 5GHz     example of Analyze 2.4GHzexample of Analyze 2.4GHz     example of 2.4GHz Recommendationexample of 2.4GHz Recommendation

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @ettienne

Thanks for the adidtional information.

Just to confirm, we 100% do not restrict or throttle our connections - doing so would drive contact into our support channels as our customers lose speed and connectivity - to intentionally generate this contact and negative perception just doesn't make sense.

Could you please provide the outcome of a wired, ethernet speed test so that we can establish that this IS a wifi issue as Matt has suggested?

Thanks

Dave