cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband is extremely slow

Takiplus

Broadband is extremely slow

Dear Plusnet team,
I have been with Plusnet for a few days, and I am struggling. While the Wi-fi signal is full, the internet is extremely slow. I cannot even watch YouTube videos without pauses, sometimes I cannot watch the very short and low resolution Facebook videos. I am checking the speed regularly and I am getting in most cases between 0.3 and 1.2 MB! In very rare cases the speed riches 5.6 MB. The router is connected to the master socket, and I am sitting one meter away from it. Can you please sort this issue as soon as possible? All I want is 6 to 7 MB speed to do the normal stuff.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
SirDave
Hooked

Re: Broadband is extremely slow

I’m getting the same issue after one month. One minute it’s 30mbps then it’s down to 5 mbps 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Takiplus, sorry to hear you're having speed issues. I've checked the connection this side and it looks like the signal strength for your line is set too low which explains when your devices seem connected but nothing loads up or you just get buffing.

The good news is it's a fairly easy fix and I have placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour. If you then turn the router off and then on again in a hour or later the connection should be back to normal for you. Let us know how it goes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @SirDave, I'm sorry to hear you're having speed issues also. Upon checking into your connection it looks like the equipment within the cabinet/exchange (VLAN) is having congestion issues and causing overheating which is resulting in throughput speed issues your side despite everything looking fine getting to the router. We do see this happen from time to time and upon checking our suppliers tracker to see when they are due to upgrade/replace the equipment it shows 30/11/18. I have therefor then contacted our suppliers and asked them to transfer you over to equipment not effected by the congestion issue and they have advised this should take place within the next 24-48 hours.
You may notice peak time performance issues in the meantime however and I'd advise getting back to us on Friday if you're still seeing these issues so we can look into this further for you. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Stampy
Grafter

I'm having the same problems here in Peterborough..

Done the recommended tests and am getting the following:-

Download Speed :- 1.42 Mbps

Upload Speed :- 0.64 Mbps

Ping Latency:- 45.00 Ms

I'm using a brand new Bipac 8800AXL Router, if that makes any difference..

suhailc1

Hi,

I'm also experiencing very bad internet connectivity in the evenings and it sounds like it is due to contention.

It's messing up our family viewing of "Ertugrul"!

Can a plus.net support person please look into this and check it out?

Regards,

Suhail.

Andy21

Hi could you check our broadband speed please, moved to you from sky around 3 weeks ago and was receiving better speeds. My WiFi speed is so poor unable to watch Netflix, you tube etc.. Speed varies currently its good at around 9mbps , but half an hour ago it was struggling to get to 4 mbps..often says no connection.  Its been like this since joining, just dropping out for no reason. Please look into this. 

Takiplus

Thank you for your reply. However, while the issue seemed to improve yesterday after strengthening the line signal, the problem has started again since 10pm. Please check the two screen shots from this morning. Notice the full wifi signal and the almost no speed. I couldn't read the morning news (text only) with such speed. Please advise.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Stampy line tests aren't showing any issues with your connection stable, router in sync at 4128 kbps and no congestion issues at the exchange. Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, do you see issues across multiple devices?

@suhailc1, there's no reported capacity issues at the exchange and line tests aren't finding any problems. Your router is in sync at 16851 kbps and connection seems stable. I'd try the troubleshooting steps I've advised of above.

@Andy21, I've tested your line and I've pretty much got similar diagnostic results as above. No capacity issues seen, your router is in sync at 12167 kbps and your connection stable with no drops for the past 42 days. Could you try those steps too?

@Takiplus, could you also try the steps above as our tests aren't finding any issues with the broadband signal coming into your router either?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stampy
Grafter

Thanks for the reply...

I've tried BOTH a wireless & a wired connection, and the results are pretty much the same*...

Download Speed :- 1.42 Mbps

Upload Speed :- 0.64 Mbps

Ping Latency:- 45.00 Ms

I've tried re-booting the router, AND resetting it back to factory settings and starting again....

* This is using the test provided on the PlusNet website (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) - although others show a download speed of around 3.75Mb.

Upgrading soon to Fibre, so we'll see if that's any better!!

It seems to download at about 1Mb speed on my Mobile phone (Hauwei P20) - yet it'll download at 8-9 Mbps on my Parent's BT connection.

UPDATE....

8pm, and I've rebooted my router again, and got the following:-

Speed Test.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Those speeds of 3.75mbps and 3.5mbps look OK for your sync rate.

The low speeds you're seeing via the wholesale speedtester may just point to a problem with that speedtester.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet