cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband/internet problems

deranged
Dabbler

Broadband/internet problems

Over the last few weeks I've been experiencing lots of problems with my internet connection - today has been the worst by far, the internet cutting out at least 7 or 8 times already. I'm not particularly technically minded but I'm sure this shouldn't be happening! 

Not sure how the lights on the router should look either, but the power and broadband lights are usually solid green whilst the ethernet and internet lights are flashing most of the time. Today however the internet light is dropping off completely then coming back red for a while before retruning to green. 

Any suggestions appreciated! 

Rob

8 REPLIES 8
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Broadband/internet problems

Hello @deranged

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your broadband.

Looking at your connection, things don't look good:

If you haven't already, I'd recommend connecting your router to the master socket; ideally the test socket as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If things don't improve, then to raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
deranged
Dabbler

Thanks @Anoush! In a way I'm glad to see there's an issue and I'm not just imagining it! I'll have a look at the master socket and come back (though I did that a while ago whan having issues and I didn't discern any faults then but I'll try again)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Ha ha, yeah it does look pretty unstable.

If you need to raise the fault, let me know once you've done it and I'll be happy to take a look at the ticket. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

It would be useful to know a little about your internal telephone wiring - is there just the master socket, or are there phone extensions, wired from the back or the front of the master socket?

It is after all Christmas and Christmas lights and less than ideal phone extensions can cause havoc with broadband connection stability.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

You might find the speed issues thread below useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deranged
Dabbler

I am running the modem via an extension from the master socket in the hall and have used the same set up for years. No Xmas lights on - they impact on broadband? 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

They sure can and the do not need to be in your house.

Is the extension wired from the back of the master socket using twisted pair wire or does it come out of the front using D section 'flat' wire?

Christmas lights often use poor quality switched current power supplies which can emit a lot of RF interference which causes havoc with broadband.

How did the QLT go?

If you look at the connection graph posted, there are not many disconnections during "sleeping" hours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deranged
Dabbler

I've done a Quiet Line Test and beautifully silent! 

I've then plugged directly into the master socket and run the BT performance tests and that seems okay, a download speed of 15.93 (achievable between 4 & 21) and upload at 0.79 (achievable between 0 & 0.83)

@Townman - I'm not sure I follow the bit about the extension (sorry!) (I've googled "twisted pair wire" and that seems to be the wire that's inside the laster socket (and I assume will run out of the house)) I have an adaptor that plugs straight into the main socket in the hall which allows me to plug both the phone and the additional lead for the pc in.

(Re; Xmas tree lights - there's been none plugged in today and i think both sets of neighbours have been out for the best part of the last 2 days)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"Twisted pair" is a cabling standard which helps to cut down (reject) electrical interference.  Indeed the wire entering the house should be twisted pair (often though is not) however it can also (ought to) be used for internal extensions as well.  Ideally if you need an extension for running a modem / router, the extension should be wired from the back of the socket using twisted pair cable as shown in the BT video on the speed issues thread.

The cable typically used for extension leads which plug into the front of phone sockets is not ideal for broadband operation.  They tend to deteriorate and can pick up a god deal of electrical interference.  You might want to see if there is much of a difference in speed between being plugged into the test socket and the end to of your extension lead.

Speed is not everything, stability is important too and that connection plot shows that at hours of the day, the connection has been very unstable.

Which router have you got?  Sight of the router stats would be useful if you know how to get them - again, the speed issues thread will help.