Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband in York

FIXED
lufc405
Dabbler

Broadband in York

When will Acaster Malbis in York YO23, ever get a decent signal the service we receive is shocking.

come on Plusnet make an effort 

18 REPLIES 18
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Broadband in York

Which Exchange and Cabinet are you on?

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Some metrics would be useful here ... your expectations might not be realisable by the constraints of the speed of light...

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@lufc405

I've no inside knowledge but from a quick Google "Acaster Malbis York YO23" seems quite rural.

Picking a random postcode in your area, the local exchange seems to be "Dringhouses" which is up towards the racecourse and a fair distance from your location.

Thus ADSL will be very slow. 

Depending on the local infrastructure, "fibre" broadband might be better (depending on where your "fibre" box is).

Plusnet use Openreach infrastructure (as does anyone else likely to offer you ADSL/VDSL "Fibre").

Is there a local "community" broadband project offering some kind of radio or fibre based service ?

If not, you are probably stuck with what you have.

I am the satisfied customer....
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Aren't TalkTalk installing FTTP in York? Probably quicker to register your interest with them.

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/ultra

Landing in York first, our out of this world broadband, at a down to earth, all in price

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@SpendLessTime

I suspect TalkTalk will only cover the urban part of York, less chance in the surrounding villages.

@lufc405

If you want faster speeds and are prepared to pay quite a lot, EE seem to have outdoor 4G coverage of your location. You could use some kind of "load balancing" router to combine your ADSL and a 4G service from a device high up and outside on your property or just use 4G.

It isn't cheap, 50GB seems to cost about £40 (on a monthly contract basis). This would be limiting but fast compared with ADSL.

Your area seems suited to one of the "community wireless" broadband schemes. It may be worth talking to others to see if there is a common interest in improving the situation.

I am the satisfied customer....
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

From looking at your area they're designing a solution for your area to get fibre.

Unfortunately I don't have a date for this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
lufc405
Dabbler

Thanks I've registered will see how long that takes

lufc405
Dabbler

Thanks, just seemed strange Appleton Roebuck a mile down the road get fibre but not us

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Most likely they are connected to a cabinet which can get fibre and you're on a separate one.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@lufc405 

To repeat an earlier post if you supply your Exchange name and cabinet number we can look to see if there's any info out there on that cabinet. If unknown, look at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Brian

lufc405
Dabbler

Ok, can you supply my exchange name and cabinet number please

Mav
Fixes: 514

@lufc405

If you put your telephone number into the BT dslchecker it will give both the exchange and cabinet number you are connected to.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

lufc405
Dabbler

Dringhouses cabinet 25

lufc405
Dabbler

Dringhouses cabinet 25