cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband has slowed to a crawl at around 9pm on many evening during July

gravebond

Broadband has slowed to a crawl at around 9pm on many evening during July

I am getting really really tired of having my internet connection slow to 0.15mbps at about 9pm. I presume this has something to do with the BT maintenance listed on the service status page but I have been affected nearly every other evening despite Cardiff (where I live) not being included on the list.....  Sad
19 REPLIES 19
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Broadband has slowed to a crawl at around 9pm on many evening during July

Have you turned your router off (if it's a combined modem/router, and modem if it isn't) at any stage since things started to go slow? If you haven't, I usually suggest that some time well inside daylight hours but not of there is thunder about, that you turn it off and leave it off for 20-30 minutes. But your case isn't usual. Read on.
You may get on a different route to a different Plusnet gateway. Some are showing this behaviour, some are fine. But it's pot luck.
You can try it when it's happening if you want. I always recommend daylight hours because that normally gives a slightly higher connection speed. But in your case a slightly low connection that actually worked at that speed sounds preferable.
The long wait is to hope to hop successfully to a better-performing gateway, not for any technical reason. But be careful not to turn it off and on more than a few times in an hour. Say three or four maximum. Too many times in a short period can trigger the system to slow down your connection speed quite a lot because it thinks the line is unstable.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

. I presume this has something to do with the BT maintenance listed on the service status page but I have been affected nearly every other evening despite Cardiff (where I live) not being included on the list.

Very unlikely as that maintenance wouldn't generally affect speeds and it happens between Midnight and 6am.
When this happens can you stop any traffic that's using your connection (uploads and downloads) and run the BT Speedtester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
I'd also suggest reporting this issue to us if it continues at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
RichardA
Grafter

Hi, not sure this will help you but  I've had the same issues with a constant drop of service around 9pm on 26th & 27th July, and have posted a message on the forum already about this about if its related to BT works. Got the same answer in that is shouldn't be down to maintenance as happens at same time both night, and advised to do fault checker, but previously all has been well and last night... no disconnects, all fine?  I have not run fault checker yet, and intend to wait and see if it occurs again first.. maybe it was maintenance?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Quote from: Chris
Very unlikely as that maintenance wouldn't generally affect speeds and it happens between Midnight and 6am.

Both Gravebond & RichardA,
Please take a look at the speed issues thread - link below.  RichardA, please post your data in a new thread so that the issues can be dealt with separately.  Note if there is an issue, there is little merit in hanging around not running he fault checker.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gravebond

I have experienced this continually since my first about 3 times a week. Today it has happened in the afternoon and was fixed by a reboot of my router, it has however set in again and my speeds are 0.06mb . I ran the BT wholesale line check and the results are as follows
Download speed (Mbps): 0.26
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.02
Ping: 0.00
No idea what's going on here
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Please read the speed issues thread and act on ALL of the advice given there.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gravebond

LINE STATS

Uptime: 0 days, 1:58:52
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,163 / 7,951
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 35.95 / 593.81
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.2 / 42.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.3 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 63 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 70
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 160

BTW TEST RESULTS

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.41 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.41 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.01 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.73 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.73Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Current Line Speed
Phone exchange:
   CARDIFF EMPIRE
Estimated line speed:
   6Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 7.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-07-28 22:38:49
Current line speed:
   6.7 Mb

Upon resetting the router the speed returns for a while and is then throttled or something later on
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks,
That is very useful.  These figures indicate that the SYNCH speed is right on the nail for your line's length (attenuation), however right at this moment, the PlusNet profile has not caught up with  what appears to be a recent slight increase in synch speed (previously around 7.6Mbps).
Are the speed tests being run over a wired or a wifi connection?
Is there noise on the phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Can you be sure that you have not caught a virus?  Is there any heavy downloading running at the same time?
This issue is not unlike this one - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=19339 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142499.msg1257586.html#msg1257586 - also from the "South West) of the nation.

gravebond

Speed test run over wired connection
No noise on the phone line after calling 17070 option 2 (this line was brand new last year)
I always have up to date anti-virus software running on this PC and my other devices are similarly affected by the decrease in speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@CRT,
As per my question in the linked to thread above - any more ideas please?

gravebond

There is only one PC in the house and I have a wired connection over  2 meters directly to the technicolor router that is plugged into the 1 and only master (or otherwise) telephone socket.
No other internet traffic is going on, all other devices (i.e tablets and phones) are switched off and I have checked the network via the router portal to make sure there is nothing odd connected to the network.
gravebond

Definately something odd happening......
My PC connection became really slow (0.5mbps), I turned my tablet off and reset it as it was also really slow, I ran a speed test on my tablet and it was back up to full speed however the PC was still showing (0.5mbps). After a while of use the tablet then slowed down again to 0.5mbps.
Is there something going on with the router itself perhaps?
cedlor
Grafter

Did you try the tablet with the PC switched off?  Does the PC have wireless capability even though it is connected by ethernet cable?
If the wireless on the pC is ON maybe there is a problem with it trying to connect through ethernet and wifi at the same time.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Now that is a good thought.  Where a PC has wifi capability, unless that has been explicitly disabled, plugging in an Ethernet cable is no assurance that wifi is not still being used.