Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband has slowed right down

lhmcr01
Grafter

Broadband has slowed right down

Hi,

I have recently signed up and have been getting an average speed of 6 mbps at all times and tonight it has suddenly slowed right down to 0.7.

I left my previous provider for the same reason, at first I was getting a reliable 6 mbps then then way below     1 mbps.

My router is connected to the master socket, I have checked my phone line and I cannot hear any interference or noise.

It appears to be something going on at the exchange again.

I really do not want the hassle of having to try to get this resolved again.

Can someone look into this please?

14 REPLIES 14
jonc1

Re: Broadband has slowed right down

Hi there,

Yes, I can totally agree with your situation. Sometimes it happens in evenings but recently it is happening during mornings and afternoons. Sorry, but like you I have tested and ensured all connections and hardware are OK. 

However, there is a question that I would ask of Plusnet: how is it that a download speed test carried out using My Broadband Speedcheck (the official Plusnet Test), can show a download speed of 6.0 Mbps, when the same test using BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test shows 0.0 Mbps? The second is more the truth, as loading web pages at the time is slower than snail pace.

lhmcr01
Grafter

The last provider did not purchase enough bandwidth, so at peak times the speed was unusable.

They would never admit it of course but it was obvious what was going on and they let me out of my contract penalty free.

I also suspect that the exchange has been neglected by Openreach, it is not, and will not be in the distant future a fibre exchange, Sky or any other broadband provider are nowhere to be seen.

lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi,

This is still happening, usually when another user in the house comes online, though that shouldn't affect things.

Can someone check for exchange faults and/or disconnections please.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There's no issues showing when testing your line, it's connected through at the fastest speeds possible for your exchange capability:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 23 37.5
SNR Margin: 28.2 8.5
Errored Seconds: 3 6
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 2098 2140
Speed: 448

Next time you see a slowdown can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi Chris,
I tried to do a further diagnostics test when the speed slowed down but that failed.
It does seem strange that almost exactly the same thing is happening now that happened with my previous provider.
Good, fast and stable speeds for the first month, then a severe decline to below 1mbps after that.
As stated, it normally happens when another user joins the network in the house????
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As stated, it normally happens when another user joins the network in the houseHuh?

What does the other user do online? Do they upload a lot of data as this can have a negative impact on the downloading.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lhmcr01
Grafter

No, no uploading, just watching YouTube or browsing.
lhmcr01
Grafter

I have been monitoring the speed of the broadband and it is still slowing, mainly now at peak times.

I have also noticed a clicking sound on some phone calls.

There has been a history of faults on this line, it is an exchange only line (don't know if that makes a difference)

I would just like these faults resolved once and for all, changing provider won't work, the problem lies with Openreach.

jonc1

Hi Ihmcr01

Same here, monitoring my line at least once daily and it also is still shockingly slow or non connecting broadband. Don't know about phone noise - haven't used phone much recently.

Using the BT Wholesale Speed tester, download speed normally 0.0, but upload speed is its normal 0.9 to 1.0Mbps

lhmcr01
Grafter

I must admit that my speed has been better since joining Plusnet, but that means nothing if faults keep recurring on Openreach side, either because they are not doing a complete and thorough test of the line, or the repairs that they do carry out are not solving the problems.

My guess would be water getting in somewhere between the house and the exchange, either that or something has corroded somewhere.

lhmcr01
Grafter

I have spoken with [CSA Removed] today and he has raised question 137618142 with fault reference TR0000006696541.

I hope this will get sorted as it is an ongoing fault, the fact that [CSA Removed] couldn't even perform a line test due to premature terminations means something is definitely wrong somewhere.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi,

My broadband speed has slowed right down again.

I have not received any further information on why faults seem to occur on a sporadic basis.

Can another line test be performed please?

lhmcr01
Grafter

I have no internet for at least an hour this morning after yesterdays very slow speed.

Can someone look into this please

lhmcr01
Grafter

Disappointed that I have had no response to my fault.

I'm still having issues with my broadband.