cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband goes live - Fax stops working

faxman
Dabbler

Broadband goes live - Fax stops working

Has anyone ever had this issue and resolved it? I had 2 bb lines and 1 phone only line which the fax was attached to.  I added bb to that line and then realised that the fax machine (i've tried 3) doesnt work on any of them. There is a communication between the machines but no fax.
Technical help welcomed.
21 REPLIES 21
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Broadband goes live - Fax stops working

do you have a filter connected to the phone socket? and the fax is connected to the phone part of the filter?
are phone services still working on that line?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two duplicate posts removed - please only post problems in one place
picbits
Rising Star

As above - you need to make sure you have a microfilter on the wire from the fax to the phone socket.
Also try dialling 17070 from the fax machine line and listen for any noise on the line.
Fax machines work fine with broadband - one of my customers receives hundreds of faxes a day on the line he uses for the corporate broadband too.
ericgripp
Grafter

If its a fibre connection with a filtered faceplate you wont need any extra filters dangling off your master/extension sockets.
faxman
Dabbler

Thanks for the many responses. 
All the master sockets are the BT N150(?) ones with ADSL faceplates so no filters are required even when using extensions, although I've tried fitting filters too and the fax machines still dont work.
All the machines work, so why cant I fax on any of them.  I'm really confused.  Who do you trun to in these circumstances?
Thanks
chenks76
All Star

you are plugging the fax machines into the phone part of the socket and not the ADSL part of the socket? dummy question i know but you'd be surprised.
do you hear a dial tone when on the fax machine?
do you hear a dial tone if you connect a standard phone?
if a phone works, what happens if you dial a fax number using the phone? do you hear the usual screeches and beeps?
faxman
Dabbler

Hello chenks76 and thanks for your reply.  In answer to your questions:
- yes, it's plugged into the phone part
- yes to dial tone for both fax and phone. i did notice that the dial tone is the beeping type as opposed to the continuous one.  I hadnt noticed this before.
- when i dial a fax using the phone I do get the usual screeches and beeps
Cheers
chenks76
All Star

so the line is working OK then, and the fax machine is seeing the line.
the beeping dial tone usually means voicemail service possibly?
maybe you need to disable that service on the line.
what actually happens when you try send a fax?
picbits
Rising Star

As above - dial 1571 from the line that is beeping and remove the messages. You might also want to turn off the 1571 service if you are receiving faxes only on that line.
faxman
Dabbler

Hello
I had no idea 1571 was on but I've now requested that it's turned off. Upto 3 days.
When I send a fax the receiving machine (not the line with 1571) knows it's being called and says receiving.  The sending machine (line with 1571) makes the usual screaching noises, says sending and then fails and prints a report.
No that I know about 1571 I can hear that when the machine is trying to receive a fax it reverts to a voicemail message.  I hadnt heard this before as the volume had been muted - the fax machine had always worked and therefore no need to hear it receive fax calls.
Should wait until the 1571 is removed or does the fact that it cannot send a fax indicate a unrelated line issue?
picbits
Rising Star

Unlikely the 1571 is the issue.
The likely issue is a lack of frequency bandwidth or interference on the line - fax machines transmit at certain frequencies and if the line won't support those frequencies then the negotiation phase will fail.
Are you able to turn the fax onto a lower sending speed and see if that helps ? Some fax machines try to transmit at 14K+ rates.
faxman
Dabbler

Thanks again. Have tried 7200 and 9600 both in RX and TX mode and without success. Very frustrating.
picbits
Rising Star

That is most bizarre !
Did you try a corded phone and the 17070 test ? Also try a corded phone and call a friend, see if the line sounds ok without any echoes, interference or lag.
faxman
Dabbler

Hi there. Yep, done it all and it seems ok.  The quiet line test on the 'faulty' line gives similar noise levels to the other lines; it's not complete silence but nothing of note.
Could it have anything to do with being an extension?  It's all been done by an openreach engineer.  I guess I could try faxing from the master socket?