Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband getting slower again.

weeally46
Rising Star

Broadband getting slower again.

Hello Everyone,

My ADSL connection seems to be getting slower and more unstable.
I saw a BT engineer at the exhcange this morning around 930, around 1900 I checked the router stats and the line had lots of CRC errors on the download side but nothing too alarming.

I resynced the router and it reconnected at 14448 down and 1063 up, it's usually at 18000 down and 1063 up and used to run at 21000 down and 1406 up.

I will do a QLT shortly.

Here the router stats and tone info.

12 REPLIES 12
weeally46
Rising Star

Re: Broadband getting slower again.

QLT is good.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @weeally46, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry for the issues that you've been having with your speed and the instability.

It's likely the stability of the connection is what's impacting the speed you are getting.

It looks like DLM has likely increased the SNR to 9dB due to the drops (for the length of your line, we'd usually expect to see it on 6dB) and this may account for the couple of mb you've lost.

Testing hasn't detected any faults so we might need to look at sending an engineer for you. Before doing so, I would recommend connecting to the test socket (https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242) to rule out any internal causes.

I've created a fault ticket for you here with the next steps in getting this progressed: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=222787630 if you add a reply, just give me a nudge on here and I can pick that up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
weeally46
Rising Star

Hello Lauren,

I have applied a -3db snr on my router to compensate, the line has since snyced at 16176 down.

My main concern is the scoop in the tone information.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

If you can get back to us on the ticket, we'll be happy to arrange an engineer to take a closer look.

Feel free to post back here once you've responded and I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@weeally46 wrote:

I have applied a -3db snr on my router to compensate, the line has since snyced at 16176 down.

Attempting to defeat the actions of the DLM to manage line stability will only confuse the issue.  Indeed it might infer that the target SNRM is actually higher than what you report in your router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

weeally46
Rising Star

Hi Townman, I've put the snr back to default.

The line is still at around 16000.

The tone information is really bad but the line seems to be stable and staying connected. The Snr has since dropped to 5db and the attainable rate has dropped off. The line has been connected for 140+ hours.

Here are some stats:

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That looks odd!

Attainable less than actual suggests that there is now the presence of some noise.  Have you done a QLT recently?

With the router's messing with the SNRM backed off, if you are able, I would recommend restarting the router around midday, which should give you the best possible sync speed.

Thereafter, it would be great if you can set up router stats (see the link below) and leave all well alone.  Router stats will monitor the SNRM dynamically - if set to a 10 second sample rate it will discern any transient noise events which might be responsible for your observed performance.  I fear that we are looking at REIN here!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

weeally46
Rising Star

HI Townman,

I restarted the router and the speed has dropped to 14103kbps and the noise on the line has increased to 12db.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The tone bins do not really help any.

Looking over the stats again, I am starting to wonder if your router is telling the truth?  Line attenuation of 2dB would suggest that you are next door to the exchange.  Is that the case?  If yes, then you should be seeing 24mbps.

The SNRM is indeed elevated, which suggests some issue on the line - please revisit QLT and the advice from Plusnet in post #3 - have you done those things?

weeally46
Rising Star

I am pretty close, about 200m if that.

I can try another router but if I remember it's always around 2db.

I will do a QLT and get an engineer out asap.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@weeally46 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

My ADSL connection seems to be getting slower and more unstable.
I saw a BT engineer at the exhcange this morning around 930, around 1900 I checked the router stats and the line had lots of CRC errors on the download side but nothing too alarming.

I resynced the router and it reconnected at 14448 down and 1063 up, it's usually at 18000 down and 1063 up and used to run at 21000 down and 1406 up.

Unfortunately(!) nowadays, line fault or no fault, this appears to be a trend...😞

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @weeally46, thanks a lot for keeping in touch with us on here. tests on the line aren't actually showing any underlying faults with the service, though the target SNR (downstream) does appear to be quite high. Are you okay with me reducing it to 6dB, and making a slight adjustment to your profile to ensure DLM does not increase it going forward?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds