cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband future?

suesykes
Grafter

Broadband future?

Has anybody any idea on the future of BB in the uk.....
Is what we have the best it is going to be?
Are BT planning any new exchanges to increase coverage and speed?
Will the current lines get any faster or are we at the limit?
I ask because I'm in the middle of nowhere and am very unlikely to see much of any new technology for a few years yet.
The Uk was pretty slack at taking on broadband at all.
17 REPLIES 17
Firejack
Grafter

Re: Broadband future?

This question is asked many times on the forums. I've asked it myself. Honestly there appears to be little to look forward too. I'm one of those people who are stuck at a very poor average speed of 3-3.5MBps with no sign I'll ever see an improvement.
The solution in my mind is quite simply. The UK needs to switch to a Fibre-To-The-Home network infrastructure. Nothing else will be able to meet demands of users such as myself. Each year I'm forced into placing more and more limits on how I use the Internet because of lack of bandwidth. Currently I need a minimum of 5MBps up/downstream but there is no one that offers such a service where I live.
I'd happily play £1000 for the installation of FTTH and £50 a month there after as I'm certainly not going to waste money every month paying hosting companies for something I could do myself with a decent connection. The problem is I can't seem to give my money away as no one is interested in offering FTTH  Huh
The path forward at the moment is the rollout of ADSL2+ in 2007 by LLU providers and BT in 2008. After that it gets very unclear. There is some talk of VDSL2 but even that doesn't increase speed on long lines. VDSL2 may come with the rollout of FTTC (Fibre-To-The-Cabinet) to reduce the distance the VDSL2 signal will have to travel.
ste
Grafter

This country sucks Sad
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Firejack
I'd happily play £1000 for the installation of FTTH and £50 a month there after as I'm certainly not going to waste money every month paying hosting companies for something I could do myself with a decent connection. The problem is I can't seem to give my money away as no one is interested in offering FTTH  Huh

If you're remote, you can probably multiply those figures by 50 to get to a more realistic current price.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I assume that the current situation is that everyone has a pair of copper wires which run all the way to the exchange?
Isn't it likely that BT will replace some of the copper on their major bundles (ie buried cables in the street) with fibre - but in such a way that ADSL will continue to operate. This would have the effect of reducing the effective line length.
However, how would you provide a power supply so that phones could still work during a power failure (999 calls etc).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

the new australian PM has said he is going to get BB upto the speed with the UK and europe - so it must be very very slow there!
asnail99

BE offer 24MB broadband across normal BT lines.
its a ADSL2+ service.
upto 24MB with a true unlimited service or £18 a month
i had BE on my old house which was about 2 km away from the exchange and was seeing over 23 Mb/s
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: asnail99
BE offer 24MB broadband across normal BT lines.
its a ADSL2+ service.

But unless you are already receiving a 8M service then there is no chance of speeds like that.
chillypenguin
Grafter

So on Max you got 4.5Mb and on ADSL2+ you get 1Mb.
I will stick with Max thank you.
Chilly
asnail99

your comparing that wrong, the 920kb/s is one download speed he is stlaking about. 
on a 4mb connection your lucky to download a 380kb/s

asnail99

when i was on my BE conneciton in my other house, i was downloading at 1MB sec from torrent sites.
samuria
Grafter

Speeds of 2 gig are possible with a little re jigging of the tcip.
See  http://netlab.caltech.edu/FAST/index.html
Its a interesting concept which does work
Ianwild
Grafter

The place to start reading on the next itteration of Boradband in here:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/21cn_broadband.php
I firmly believe once that roll-out is underway we will start to see Mini-Dslams in the green boxes, and fibre going into new build as well as some of the existing infrastructure. 21CN enables that certainly...
The question is not if, but when, as far as I'm concerned.
Ian
pcoventry76
Grafter

now that does sound exciting
ste
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
There's a simple answer to that.....

Give me the money and I'll be gone. Grin