cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband fine - but Wireless now stopping/starting, bit of advice pls!

gd77ni
Fixes: 1

Broadband fine - but Wireless now stopping/starting, bit of advice pls!

Hi guys - I'm a new Plusnet customer for just under a month now - pretty happy overall BUT theres a couple of problems I'm having, mainly relating to the wireless connection that I'm hoping I can get some advice/feedback on how to solve it.
Ok - previously I was an O2 customer, standard bband (getting about 4MB connection) - little standard O2 wireless modem was being used and had perfect connected signal to my desktop PC obviously - but also through my small bungalow to my Blackberry phone, Ipad and Playstation 3. Although the speed wasn't the greatest I had a continuous perfect wireless connection to all devices no matter where they were.
Now I changed to Plusnet Fibre unlimited (due to the sale of O2 Broadband to Sky)
Started off using the standard modem that came with my Plusnet package - but I wasn't getting a good wireless signal whatsoever from it - read up on the forum here and people were backing that statement up and saying to go with a BT Home Hub X etc - so I've bought one from Ebay - a version 2 and have been using it.
BUT I'm still getting probs - I'll try to explain as succcint as possible.
PC with the wired connection - no problems - getting Fibre connection and when I do a speed test I can be getting between 40-70 depending upon time of day - no worries there - plenty of speed.
BUT - I'll start with Ipad - I use it to listen to the radio quite a bit - I may be 5-10metres away from the modem and it starts buffering the connection maybe every 5-10mins - even in a direct line to the modem in the room across. This is very frustrating and this keeps occuring.
Blackberry - connection comes and goes - sometimes I may flick into the internet browser and it just times out. Its nearly as if I have to wake up the connection - I have to try 3/4/5 times until I get the connection. I don't use it very often but frustrating when I need it and ccan't get connected.
Playstation 3 - pretty much rendered useless now as it may connect to begin with but then (like the iPad) will lose the wireless connection after a few moments and doesn't auto connect again, so its currently unuseable.
As I say - I had none of these problems prev using the small white O2 modem on a standard connection - now I'm on Plusnet Fibre - have now used two boxes and wireless is as useful as a motorbike with an ashtray! Very frustrated and disappointed.
Can anyone offer any advice - as to tests I could carry out - or settings to change etc and so on - to what could be the problem and the answer to getting a better wireless connection?
Some people may say its the connection being lost through the walls - but I'm in a small bungalow, not very big - and I have never had previous problems before - I remember even sitting right deep into the back garden before and getting radio on the iPad prev with the O2 one?! So its not the walls!!
Sorry for the long post - just wanted to give full details as I would LOVE to get this sorted out!
Thanks guys
Gary
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Broadband fine - but Wireless now stopping/starting, bit of advice pls!

Hi gd77ni and welcome to the community forum.
One possible cause of this issue could be due to interference from other WiFi networks in the area. I'd advise scanning for other networks using something such as <a href="http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/">InSSIDer</a> that may reveal that changing the router settings to connect manually to a different wireless channel might help with the issue.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gd77ni
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband fine - but Wireless now stopping/starting, bit of advice pls!

Thanks! Will give that a shot today! Will hopefully give me something to go on (facts and figures) just to see whats causing this!
Cheers guys
jim:quote