cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband fault

Buttersbridge

Broadband fault

Hi I've been a happy plusnet customer for well over a year but in the past few days I've had numerous issues with my router.
I am able to connect to the network via wireless and also by cabling in but once connected I am struggling to get any form of Internet access.
It doesn't appear to be a wifi issue as I can connect to the router with no issues. Also on the router page everything appears fine with the connection.
I've tried using multiple devices which all have the same issues. I've tried factory resetting the router with no change, changed filters etc.
Any chance someone can check if my line has issues like I've seen in other post.
Many thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Broadband fault

hello there Smiley

the first thing a MOD will do is ask if youve tried the TEST SOCKET.. please read my reply (post no.2) in this thread, read it and it will explain and use the links too:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Since-activation-internet-speed-often-drops-out-HELP/td-p/14...

Hi there Smiley

you say you have multiple sockets around the house?, these can cause problems with broadband as does extension wiring (as they allow REIN and SHINE events on your connection) so your first job would be to remove these from your ADSL loop , what you should first do is identify which is the MASTER SOCKET, locate the telephone wire coming into the house, the box it goes into first is the NTE5 Master Socket (it might go into a smaller Junction Box first - this will have no where you can plug anything in and is not a socket, it just used to transfer from external cable to internal).

When you locate the NTE5 Master Socket remove the front plate behind which has a test socket, plug only your filter and router in ...AND connect the PC/Laptop to the router via LAN (do not use wifi) and see if this helps...if so and you use these other sockets for phones in other rooms then you need a filtered faceplate for the master socket (about £12) which terminates the ADSL at the socket and prevents it traversing the other sockets and allows only the telephone signal through, you also must have a filter on all your other sockets IF they are being used by phones...if not this can cause problems such as dropouts when the phone rings etc.

for more information about REIN and SHINE events etc see this article, it has a video on there as well:
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/broadband-understanding-rein-and-shine

you should also have a read about Causes of slow internet and How to use the Test Socket

Im unsure how the latest £28 MK4 plate installs - but to make it easy there is this version (just as good) for around £15 - it also removes the need for a filter...but the good thing about this one is it easy to install, it simply plugs into the test socket then you put the front back onto that (so this sits in between) and it has a little slit / gap at the bottom to allow you to pass the incoming cable through - all/most others require you to actually remove the wires and punch them into the faceplate (which is also quite easy - plenty of videos online) - if you do shop around for Filtered Faceplates (cheaper on ebay?) make sure you get a proper BT openreach one that uses 'passive' filtering and not the XTE-2005 or other 'active' filtered faceplates as these aren't very good and don't last very long.

If the test socket didnt help then we can take it too the next stage Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Testing your line is showing that the mean time between errors on the downstream is much much lower than we'd like to see:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 20.1 36.5
SNR Margin: 6.5 7.3
Errored Seconds: 0 7
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 31641 55544
Speed: 1151 10819

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 11360 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9088
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 727
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 8

However your line still appears relatively stable:

The line test isn't bringing back any errors or obvious faults though.

Can you make sure the router is in the master socket (test socket is better) with no extension leads in place. It's also worth plugging in a phone and dialling 17070 going through the quiet line test.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Buttersbridge

It's OK thanks for the reply chris. The error appears to be regarding your dns servers. I've changed those on all devices and everything is working fine now. Not sure what the dns issue is though.