cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband extremely slow downloading apps from Google Play Store

FIXED
tkdfan

Broadband extremely slow downloading apps from Google Play Store

I have a 2704n router for my plusnet broadband service. My download speed (from ookla is about 4Mbps with which I'm quite happy 

However, if I try to download apps from the Google Play store on my phone the speed is incredibly slow. It takes over half an hour to download a small (a few MB) update to an app. I don't think the problem lies with my phone as the updates run fine connected to the WiFi in the local pub.

I have tried changing my DNS servers on the router to use the Google Ones, but with little success. 

Any ideas on solving this problem before I get in touch with Tech Supoort would be gratefully received.

4 REPLIES 4
Adam_uk
Dabbler

Re: Broadband extremely slow downloading apps from Google Play Store

+1 for this issue but I find in addition *all* Google services are slow such as Youtube.
I tried a different router but same issue however I also tried my brothers EE wifi and no issue at all so as above the issue seems to be at the Plusnet side...
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Fix

Hi @tkdfan

Thank you for your query!

This one does sound a little odd. However, to try and help resolve the problem I have added a static IP to your account. If I could ask that you please reset your router and then monitor the situation.

In addition, I would also try (if you haven't already done so) splitting the frequencies as per our router guides. Further information on how to do this can be found here. I'd test both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz option, although some devices are not compatible with the 5Ghz.

Please do let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
tkdfan

Hi KatieC,

Thanks for your efforts in resolving the problem with my slow Google Play downloads.

I have reset my router as requested, and you'l be glad to hear that it does seem to have fixed the problem.

Regards,

Andrew

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Thank you for the update @tkdfan

I'm pleased to hear that your query is now resolved. Please do let us know if you have any further problems!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team