cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops out or goes to slow speed

diond09
Hooked

Re: Broadband drops out or goes to slow speed

I don't know what the protocol is here so I don't know whether I should be piggy backing this thread as I'm experiencing the exact same problems or create a new one?

Anyway, I've tried all sorts of things such as changing channels, removing all other devices from the network, restarting the modem, to buying a brand new 5ghz wifi dongle, but the problem still exists. All I'm getting is the white 'circle of death'. My Internet is completely unusable. I've had problems from the start (July 2017) that were slightly ironed out within the first couple of weeks in as much as my Internet would be less unstable but has been far from perfect, but now it is constantly on a go slow / stop. Any ideas folks? Cheers.

micoli
Dabbler

I've had regular drop outs since early September. The connection drops every few minutes and reconnects after a few minutes. Resetting the router doesn't help, so I've given up there. 

I've called Support on several occasions and they improved the connection only temporarily. The support team ask the same questions and get the same answers from me and it's seems to be my fault the house was built without test sockets being installed. They seem convinced that I'm not telling them the truth after taking the plates of the downstairs sockets to check! They have recently referred me to their Faults team but unfortunately they have not contacted me in the 5 days allocated. I've just called cancellations, (yet again), and yet again have been convinced by them that all can be rectified by the Faults team. I've been hanging on the phone now for at least 20 minutes but still no answer.

I thought the router may be defective but the support team says no. On the other hand, the cancellation team says that he had personal experience of a new PlusNet router being defective. Can anyone make any suggestions? 

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Depending on how old the house is and when the phone wiring was originally done will affect whether or not you have a master socket. However, they are not always in the obvious place! My master socket is in the loft where the phone cable comes into the house. All the other sockets have been wired from this but unless you went looking, you wouldn't think we had a master socket. Makes testing for faults fun!!!!

teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Our broadband has been fine (within the restraints of our line's limits) until a few nights ago, when we had drop outs on a couple of nights. It wasn't just my laptop as my husband's and the TV's internet dropped ,too. The symbol showed yellow not read and the message was' limited access' or 'access not possible'.

Once a reset of the modem was needed, but waiting a few minutes worked at other times.

At 5pm today, I noticed the little bar chart losing a bar as I was looking at the screen and then my laptop couldn't even load a Streetview image on Google. Trying Speedtest gave a very low 2.3 Mbps,but on rebooting the computer the speed was back to the usual 5+ Mbps.

Last time, without even asking, I got better service from you than the telephone tec team, so could you do your magic again, please ?