Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops in the rain

barnettsab
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Broadband drops in the rain

I've been having a problem (again) of late where, when it rains, my broadband drops. I get the red flashing bar, then the red B... it retries a couple of times, then the connection reestablishes itself. 

I raised a fault (207412170) and have had one reply acknowledging the problem, then telling me I will have to pay if you can't fix the error. I'm rather reluctant to commit to paying because I had this problem last year and you failed to fix it then. I had a couple of engineer visits back then, but all on bright sunny days when the problem doesn't happen. He acknowledged the problem was not with the house wiring (and even replaced the BT phone socket FOC for me).

When the issue occurs, the phone line is perfectly clear - nice steady clear dial tone. 

How do I get this fixed? I'm currently trying to get a job and having your broadband this unstable is not much of a recommendation to any potential employer!

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
barnettsab
Dabbler

Re: Broadband drops in the rain

Really fed up now. It's been dropping all weekend and no one is doing anything about it. The question I raised is being ignored.

So much for "award winning customer service".

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@barnettsab wrote:

I raised a fault (207412170) and have had one reply acknowledging the problem, then telling me I will have to pay if you can't fix the error. I'm rather reluctant to commit to paying because I had this problem last year and you failed to fix it then. I had a couple of engineer visits back then, but all on bright sunny days when the problem doesn't happen.

I rather suspect that you've implied the above from what the standard "you might be charged" warning actually says (unless its changed recently).

The advice sates that you might be charged if the fault is found to be within your premises or equipment or related to damage cause to BT equipment.  The will also be a risk of being charged if you are not present when the BT Openreach engineer turns up or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours before the appointment.

If you have done all of the requested tests with the router plugged into the test socket and the problem still occurs then it is very unlikely that the fault is within your premises.

If you have correlated the issue as being associated with damp weather, then it somewhat sounds as though there is an iffy joint somewhere, which short of checking every joint on the circuit can be hard to fix if the issue is not manifest when the engineer attends.  However, even if its raining fit for a great flood when the engineer attends, the act of testing a circuit to locate such a fault can 'rectify' the issue.

It is important that this be flagged as an intermittent repeated fault and that you regularly doe the QLT at the time to encounter the disconnection issues.

Which router are you using?  Being able to log / record all of the disconnections (not just the ones you observe) will help add weight the to profile of the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

barnettsab
Dabbler

The wording states...

...Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer.

It’s the ‘or if no fault is found’ bit that means I will get a charge. No ‘may be’ or implication on my part.

The issue has now been picked up by someone from support who arranged for an engineer visit (with a promise of no charge). Because of the lockdown, they’re not allowed in the house, but a visual inspection of the wiring (which has been there over 50 years) has resulted in them putting in a request to replace the cable.

The lockdown means that I will have to put up with the drops (without any offer of compensation) for at least the length of the current lockdown and, possibly, longer depending on the rules applied to engineers. So I’m not expecting a fix anytime soon, but am gratified that a potential solution has been found.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

External works should be BAU not impacted by the lock down.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

barnettsab
Dabbler

Problem is, they have to run the cable in to the building to the master socket. It’s only about 1.5m of cable, but it’s enough to get the repair stopped in its tracks. It’s frustrating, but it’s better everyone stays safe.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I suspect that anything before the master socket is their responsiblity, anything after is yours.

The fact your fault seems to only happen during rain would suggest to me it is something external to the property. So I can't see it being inside your building, but outside.

barnettsab
Dabbler

They’re agreed it’s the external cable (which is what I suggested last year when this all started).

The problem is that the cable that needs to be replaced runs from the pole to my roof, then down the wall, through the porch door frame, through the front door frame and into a junction box attached to the inside of the front door frame. At the point it comes through the porch door frame, while it remains their responsibility, it is also ‘inside’ the building, so they won’t come fix it with the COVID restrictions.