cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops for no reason

AllanJ
Dabbler

Broadband drops for no reason

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now. Broadband drops, then waits 10 minutes or so and restarts again. I have done all the checks that Plusnet ask, even changed to my old router for a few days, but the same thing happened with that one. It will be ok for a few days or so, then for no reason, drops.

Anyone have any idea why this happens. I'm not on Twitter, can't chat with the Helpdesk as I don't get the option, and I am definitely not phoning them as I don't want to waste half of my day hanging on a phone.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Tomca
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband drops for no reason

@AllanJ Sorry to hear of the issues you're having.

So that we can look at this and offer the correct guidance please send us a private message with the account username.

Thanks - Carl.

Carl Tomlinson
 Plusnet Help Team
AllanJ
Dabbler

So, after giving my account name by private message, how long do you have to wait for anything to happen? I was kicked out of a very important zoom conference last night at 7:43pm because of this, and again, just 20 minutes ago it just dropped for 10 minutes.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@AllanJ I've checked the connection this side and it looks like the signal strength for your line is set too low which explains when your devices seem connected but nothing loads up or you just get buffing.

The good news is it's a fairly easy fix and I have placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour. If you then turn the router off and then on again in a hour or later the connection should be back to normal Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
AllanJ
Dabbler

Thanks. I will do that and see how it goes in the next couple of days.

AllanJ
Dabbler

Hi

My internet just dropped again for 10 minutes. This is getting quite serious. I have quite important conference calls coming up next week and I need to be assured I have an Internet connection.

Same as before. Just disconnects for no reason, then boots up again.

If Plusnet believe the problem is at my end, then could Plusnet send me a new router and micro filters, and please don't try and bill me for them. The ones I am using are the same ones you gave me when I signed this contract more than 18 months ago.

You already have my account name.

Signed

A very distressed person

AllanJ
Dabbler

And again. In the middle of a conference call.

When Vodafone get connected in this area, I will definitely be switching over to them. Too many problems with Plusnet this last year.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We need to start with the basics. I note you've only contacted us on social media and haven't raised any fault report so I'm presuming all the information we have is here. We've made a change which may or may not have worked temporarily.

Your connection looks like this.,..

Before we do anything else, we need to rule out your side.

Do you agree that the line drops at those times? If you're seeing more drops, I suspect this is a different issue altogether (Wi-Fi or lack of data transfer) and if it is, I don't want to waste your time with diagnostics that won't help.

If you are seeing those, as above, and "SNR" (Signal to noise) increase or switching 'interleaving' on can help.

However, as I said at the start of this message, let's start with the basics.

Is your phone in working order? Does it have a dial tone etc?

Have you plugged your router into your test socket without any other devices plugged in?  If not, please do so now and we'll see if it drops whilst plugged in there.

Have you tested another router?

These are standard diagnostics used by all ISP's using the Openreach network.

If you further information on finding and testing in the master and test socket, please let us know and we can advise further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
AllanJ
Dabbler

Hi Plusnettony

My apologies for sounding a bit grumpy. I think this lockdown is starting to get to me.

However, Yes, I agree with the diagram showing my lost connection, although Friday I rebooted a few times and plugged into the test socket on the master socket. (That was a different problem of all lights, but no internet). The router has been plugged into the test socket ever since.

Phone line is ok. perfect dial tone. I have changed micro filters and went back to my old router for a few days. Still the same. Now back to my Sagemcom that you gave me when I took out this contract.

Interesting that it hasn't went down anytime today, yet. Hopefully your little change has fixed it.

Regarding  the fault report, could you tell me how to raise a fault report on the website.

Allanj

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @AllanJ, thanks for getting back to us. I've attached the latest connection graph below. It's been stable for the past day which is good to see. If you find that it starts to become intermittent again, you can raise a fault with us here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
AllanJ
Dabbler

Thanks willf. I will let you know if anything starts going wonky again through the proper channel now.

Allanj

AllanJ
Dabbler

Hi Plusnet team

Whatever you did seems to have solved the problem. Thank you. No noticeable drops all week.

So, is it safe now to take the router connection out of the test socket and replace the cover, or should I play safe and leave it as it is.

Allanj