cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping out

cbeds7

Broadband dropping out

Hi
my broadband keeps dropping out, it's fine then suddenly the router starts flashing orange for 2-3 mins then goes steady orange then green then back to steady blue, this usually lasts 8-9 mins in total but it's happening 7 or 8 times a day, I have checked all cables etc although it goes back to working fine by itself, anyone any ideas?, thanks
11 REPLIES 11
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Broadband dropping out

Hi @cbeds7,

I'm sorry that your connection has been dropping and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

I can see from your connection that it's been dropping more than we'd expect over the past few days:

However, testing your line hasn't picked up the cause of this from here:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 262.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-03-15T11:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 2.0 Mbps 2.0 Mbps 2.0 Mbps
Up Time 729.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-03-28T11:16:29.996+00:00 2019-03-28T11:31:29.996+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

As the test hasn't determined the cause, we'll need to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out. I'd recommend starting with basic checks here, If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

Please let us know if your connection continues to drop once you're connected to the test socket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Erm, looking at that, there's one tiny issue.

Your line is provisioned on 40/2, it should be 40/10, should it not. I wonder if any uploading is causing the connection to stall?

(just a thought)

cbeds7

we don't do any uploading that I know of, I'm pretty sure as it corrects itself it's not a wiring fault although I'm going to try it in the test socket in a bit, but today I've noticed I'm sitting in the living room 5 feet from the router and it won't connect to wifi so I'll need to check that as well
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @cbeds7,

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm sorry to hear that you're now experiencing problems with connecting to the WiFi as well. Please let us know how things are looking once you've been through the troubleshooting checks.

Thank you very much for spotting that the line was incorrectly provisioned on 40/2 broadband, @DS, I've placed an order to modify it to 40/10 now and this should complete within the next 48 hours.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

This is why Plusnet are good at somethings (but maybe not at others;)), popping up GEA tests in the public domain can mean those being nosy little details can be reported to you Wink

I've noticed I'm sitting in the living room 5 feet from the router and it won't connect to wifi so I'll need to check that as well

I may start to sound like a broken record here (not at you @cbeds7, at PN), but if you click this - http://192.168.1.254 and scroll down, does your router say:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated xyz

IF it does, then I think I know what the problem is Undecided

(note to PN or mods - if the OP's software is as per the above, maybe it's time to start merging all of these reports in to one place?)

cbeds7

your spot on with the software version it's just as you said and last updated 15/03/19, I now need to ask is there a lot of people having problems
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for confirming @cbeds7 

<Live from PN helicopter 5>

"I'm seeing small but ever increasing reports of routers going wrong whilst running firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, back to Plusnet for an update".

Joking aside, at this present time there are small numbers of customers reporting issues with this current version. I'm trying my best to 'scoop'* these reports up. I carried out some detailed testing about 3 weeks back and I'm now very confident that my then issue is now being seen by more and more.

The problem is, in one case a customer blamed their laptop so bought a wifi dongle (only 12 quid, but they imho didn't need to) and others out there are 'pulling their hair out' thinking it's them or their devices. IMHO, it's not their fault and this lies solely with the above firmware. There's got to be a lot more out there whom have not looked at these forums and could be spending silly money thinking their gear is kaput.

I truly believe the forums may soon 'explode' with others having the same issues.

Some users are not on this firmware, so there issues could be for other reasons.

(*I'm trying to include the firmware in my posts, so PN (or others) can search for posts under my ID. This may be a waste of my time, but I can't see how else to get someone in authority to start putting this jigsaw together)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@cbeds7, are you able to try the steps Here before we jump to conclusions that the fault lies with the firmware in your case?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

I feel to blame for this Embarrassed. I shouldn't jump to conclusions without PN acknowledging the issue, (but did get a teeny bit from BobP)

In my case

• ignoring the drop to the www, my router running firmware 259 was a relatively happy bunny. But we didn't use the 5GHz even though devices here could use it - I was aware some devices could have issues based on the hub one's twin, the HH5. I'd also read about PN firmware 259 having issues with certain devices too. The primary reason was the poor range - it just would not reach where it was needed.
  • Along came 263 and my wifi went haywire, so unbeknown to PN then, they sent another router, whilst waiting for this the ethernet also started misbehaving. I thought this was odd.
  • This new router had 259 running, again ignoring the www drop, it was then another happy bunny.
  • But, again, along came 263 and my wifi went haywire again, and I also had blips on ethernet again, but this time, I started to think there's a pattern here, plus due to my dropping www, I got a BTH6
  • This H6 router, thus far, appears to have a very good wifi, dare I say it, better than the H5/PNH1.

Though that's what happened to me. I have had others approach me as they know I know my way around HH5/PNH1. And thus far those who've spoken to me, sometimes indirectly, all seem to be having the same issues with 263. As I pointed out elsewhere, I asked them to describe to me what issue(s) they had. I didn't tell them what to say. I then saw a few reports on here and became consumed by finding them, asking them, advising them, thinking I'm not going mad after all.

I shall cease the 'hunt' and let others guide them to a resolution.

<tip toes out the door, shh! click>

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries at all DS, we appreciate your posts. Keeps us on our toes!
If there’s a problem with the new firmware then I’m sure Bob will agree when I say that this is something we want to investigate and get to the bottom of.
I may be wrong though but I think it’s best to go through the basic troubleshooting first to rule out any environmental issues.
Keep on posting! Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

On yer toes, or playing darts, perhaps Wink

@Gandalf 

Regarding 'the problem', you know my thoughts on this, plus kinda still think a caching issue could be playing a part too. As I've said before, happy to be proven otherwise!! Smiley

Though I did try this during my 'play time' with these fantastically over engineered and vastly under priced routers:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

But the 'hiccup' via ethernet continued, could be me, or my gear though...?

I'm pretty sure once his hands leave his head, he'll drop by and 'fess up' or 'knock me down a peg or two'!!Azn

Nowt wrong with your methods either, the end game is the same. Wink

Love always

DS xx