cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping out over the past week and now stuck in the Troubleshooter!

geehawk
Rising Star

Broadband dropping out over the past week and now stuck in the Troubleshooter!

I've been experiencing numerous drops in my broadband connection over the past week. Only for a few minutes at a time, but fairly frequently.

Tried the Broadband Trouble shooter, chose that my dial tone was noisy and was told that was the issue, and to get it fixed.

That problem was most likely my cordless phone, but I am now unable to get back into the trouble shooter to progress further as it just brings up the same "Get your phone line fixed" message.

Anyone able to help get me back into it, or look at my connection in an effort to identify the problem? I'm already plugged into the master socket.

17 REPLIES 17
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Broadband dropping out over the past week and now stuck in the Troubleshooter!

Hi @geehawk,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems with your broadband and that it's not allowing you to progress further with the troubleshooter.

I've tested your line and the test isn't picking up the cause of this problem from here:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK75169146 Service ID: BBEUXXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 22-11-2019 14:22:52
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 28.7 51.3
SNR Margin: 11.6 6.4
Errored Seconds: 0 116
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 0 0
Speed: 447 5446

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 5120 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4096
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 5715 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 88
Indicative Line Quality: C Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 168
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

However, I can see that there are frequent drops on your connection log:

If possible, I would recommend that you try connecting a corded landline to your master socket with nothing else plugged in as this will confirm whether there are any issues with noise on the landline which may be linked to the broadband connection problems. Please can you confirm whether you have been through the troubleshooting steps here?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
geehawk
Rising Star

Re: Broadband dropping out over the past week and now stuck in the Troubleshooter!

It appears to have dropped permanently now, I'm now on my mobile.
Can't find a corded phone, but phone line is currently ok. No major noise.
Have rebooted router, no change. It's in the master socket, I have no extensions.
geehawk
Rising Star

Oh and the link you provided for trouble shooting steps just takes me to the Trouble shooter which as I mentioned will not allow me to progress ..

It is back now but this is the umpteenth time I have had to type and submit this as it's up and down very frequently now.

EDIT: Okay, I've just discovered that to progress through the troubleshooter I had to click that my problem was fixed to close it, then I could start through it all once again which I have just done.

As posted in the troubleshooter, Openreach were in our vicinity recently (last week) up a pole. A pole which historically has caused issues with both phone and broadband. Obviously as my phone is working BT are not interested. It may of course be something else.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @geehawk,

I can see that since the troubleshooter was completed the connection has been stable. Just to clarify, did you make any changes at that time to the internal setup? I ask as this may have helped to resolved the fault, though I only ask to be thorough. If the problem still exists, just let us know and we'll be happy to look into arranging an engineer appointment to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Paul2103

My internet keeps cutting out for only a few minutes but it has done it twice tonight and also a few times this week

geehawk
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

I had noticed that.

I think it must be a coincidence as I changed nothing at that time, just answered the questions.

It did however stop raining here ... and got dark so the local squirrels went to bed. They do like to run along the phone lines!

It might be back up but the speed is pitiful. BT checker shows me around 1-1.5Mbps, I know the minimum should only be 1.2 ish but I regularly got 4-5, so the line is capable of much better.

Soupdragonplus

yes i've had broadband drop out over the last week, especially in the evening

reported issue and open reach came out and did some work externally but no problem detected

subsequently i have been working a home for a few days and broadband has been fine

however come 1730 on wed and thursday it stopped working until following morning

likewise friday night it stopped at 1630. After calling to report issue again and having a bit of rant as going around in circles it

came back again later in the evening, only to drop out again until about 830 this morning

line is working fine and so is equipment as its been working during the day. (just as it is now)

explained to customer service support that is like someone  is just flicking a with as i goes of as mentioned above

During this period, phone line still has dial tone and equipment is still on, just no input it seems through line into house?Huh

plusnet want me to get engineer out and charge me £65 if a problem is found

i can understand that there may be line/equipment issues if it intermittent, but working fine all day, with no drop outs 

only to stop working completely at certain time of day says is more of a supply issue from plusnet

just gone through trouble shooter test again...ironically that crashed !

has yours been resolved?

geehawk
Rising Star

No @Soupdragonplus the issue still persists.

I did not notice many dropouts yesterday, but speed was bad.

Today it's already dropped out a number of times and in between the speed has been awful. BT speedtest even managed to return 0.0 mbps up and down at one point!

Historically, although I have not had too many issues with my broadband (other than speed), Plusnet have not been particularly fast in getting it sorted. The last time I was suffering from the same dropouts and lowering speed over an extended period I had to wait for the phone line to fail completely (no dial tone), where upon a report to BT saw a man up a pole outside the house within a day, and the result was the fastest speeds I'd ever had ... for a week.

I've also reported slow speed in general in the past after periods of good speed and am just told that what I'm getting is within the estimates for my connection, even though I have consistently had double the speed in the past.

I know I'm in the sticks and should not expect the earth, but it annoys the hell out of me when I keep seeing stuff about Superfast broadband, which for most people is not necessary, whilst loads of people still suffer from very poor speeds.

The promises of fast broadband for all are not much better. Local councils farm it out to whatever company they want, in our area Gigaclear are supposed to be installing fibre to premises (all local roads are dug up) but you then are locked in to them being the only provider and have to pay their prices. For me it would be a 4x price hike plus extra as I would lose the other benefits I get from Plusnet having been with them for 20+ years, and still have to pay line rental for telephone etc.. So I could have 30-900mbps connections from Gigaclear but lose all choice. Or have a choice of many companies and stick with being told 1.5mbps is within the specs for your connection ... "Well improve the damn connection then!"

End of rant.

geehawk
Rising Star

@TheMightyAJ 

Still issues. Up and down like a fiddlers elbow this morning. Longest I've seen it up is around 10 minutes.

I did try an old router in place during one of the down times, no joy.

It's been over a week and getting worse all the time.

geehawk
Rising Star

Currently the connection has been up for nearly 1hour.

Just did 10 back to back BT speed tests

Seems to be quite large fluctuations, although all very low. Route reports a synch speed of approx. 6.5 even though I'm only seeing the above.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @geehawk, thanks for reporting a fault. I've just added a response to your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=196400113

@Soupdragonplus I can see Sammy made some changes to your connection yesterday, has that led to any change for you?

@Paul2103 It would be best to report a fault too at http://faults.plus.net if that's still an issue for you. Please let us know when you have. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
geehawk
Rising Star

@adamwalker Before I select 3 timeslots for an engineers visit are you able to tell me from your logs whether my connection drops more in the morning or afternoon? It would, I feel, make it more likely for the problem to exist when they visit.

I reckon the drop outs are more prolific in the mornings e.g. I've had 2 in 15 minutes so far today, but yesterday afternoon I believe the connection was stable, unlike the morning. Are you able to confirm my thoughts?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @geehawk 

No problem, here's a copy of the logs for your connection going back a week:

Looks like the drops are spread across the morning and afternoon, yesterday has indeed been more stable. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
geehawk
Rising Star

@Gandalf Thanks for that. Is it not at all odd that almost all the dropouts are between 6am and 6pm ?