cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropouts

Mardler
Rising Star

Broadband dropouts

Recently, my router (bog standard TG PN job) has dropped the broadband connection.
It happens every 5 to 10 days at random. The internet light on the router goes off then, after one or two minutes, turns red and finally comes back on green & flashing until connection is restored. No intervention required, it does this all by itself.
Thoughts? Especially whether it's the router is on its last legs or BT's lines are!

199 REPLIES 199
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband dropouts

Is it just the internet light that goes out? Do any of the others change colour/flash?
We can see a few disconnections and drops:
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks for your quick response, Chris.
It's just the internet light, the others remain lit and on as normal.
Glad (?) you can see the interruptions.

Edit: the last disconnect today was me rebooting the router as I couldn't access it.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just performed some diagnostics which are indicating a problem with the copper line.
I note we don't provide that service for you so please contact your phone provider if that continues to be an issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Adam.
Just had another long dropout.
Mardler
Rising Star

Adam, can you let me have a little more detail before I contact BT?
Edit: had a dropout at 23.55 last night and another two minutes ago. Heavy rain both times.
Mardler
Rising Star

Bump.
Any chance that you guys can give me the same data as above since the 15th?
It would still be useful to know the exact nature of the diagnostic results (and if there's a pointer to it being outside the house) before I contact BT.
TIA
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi there,
It's definitely still showing a dis in network phone fault from our testing. So I would get this raised with BT and fixing this should stabilise your line out in the process. Thank you.
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Mel.
Mardler
Rising Star

Cross posted from other thread which I've asked to be closed.
Odd faults yesterday resulted in a reduction in d/l speed and I then found out that neighbours are at dial-up or 1.3mbps!
This prompted me to find the BT line checker which I did via my online bill emails, impossible by Googling!
Anyway, BT's phone (voice not broadband) line checker came up with an outside the house fault which has been logged.
I'll come back here if & when we get a resolution but ITM thanks to PN for pointing me in the right direction above.
MelRocks
Grafter

No problem at all Smiley
Let us know how things go once the phone fault side of things is fixed.
Mardler
Rising Star

OpenReach have been here.
Diagnostics show no external fault. Internal (BT) box had a minor fault so replaced.
OR diagnostics still showing a disconnect.
Engineer thinks it isn't a high resistance fault, might be the down line from the pole outside the house but more likely a fault at the exchange. He's going there now and will check connections etc.
Fault will be left open pending further investigation.
D/l speed lower at 12.66mbps so definitely no improvement in fact it seems to be still falling.
PN: throughout the testing the router was disconnected several times - is there a cap on my connection or does my profile need to be reset?
If not, do you have an explanation as to why my d/l speed has dropped from 16+ to 13?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Full stats will help answer the question.  What is the DS SNRM and how does that compare to what it was?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, TM.
Unfortunately, I can't compare with old SNR as I don't have that data.
However, I used to check SNR with our old Netgear DG834 router and it was c.9db IIRC - a very good, clean, line.
Current details below.
FWIW, another OpenReach guy called today. Diagnostics from here said there's a fault 870m away: that's the exchange. He checked all pole connections and reckons they're OK. However, he also went to the exchange and checked our line from there and no fault found. (Fault is a disconnect.)
This guy was once a broadband engineer but the job has been split (!) so he can't check but he suspects a fault at the exchange as did the guy yesterday. He's going to try to get his boss to send out a broadband engineer.
Meanwhile, close neighbours have 18mbps (as we had initially) 8.8, 5 and <2. The two lower rates have dropped dramatically, the <2 also being with PN (BT speed test shows her connection capable of 16.07).
Our speed is also falling albeit slowly: two weeks ago 16.33, last week 13.30 today 12.5.
Again PN: are you doing something at your end to cap my connection?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Your drop in speed will be due to the fault on the line/exchange which seems to have caused the Target SNRM to go to 12dB with the resultant slower sync speed that your now have - 15,808.This will give you an IP Profile of 13.9. Your Current Line speed (Login required) should match. Speed tests can also vary slightly depending on time of day and how busy the various servers are etc.