cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropout

JRingrose
Grafter

Broadband dropout

I have only recently taken on Plus Net.  When it works it is great.  Does anyone have the problem of it just dropping out or not being able to connect at all for no reason at no particular time.  This is the same on both my wifes laptop and to be sure when it had dropped out we checked it on mine - the same.  You cannot surf any webs or log in to anything even though all the green lights are up on the router.  You  can see the LAN on my wifes latop and often it shows connected but it isn't and other times a message  "Modem switched off" when it isn't or "Your voyager is not ready to connect to broadband".  I don't seem to be able to get a response from Plusnet.
John
62 REPLIES 62
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband dropout

Hi John,
Can I ask if you have tried connecting your laptop directly to the Voyager?  I want to try and work out whether or not the problem here is regarding wireless or whether it is your connection in itself that is causing the problem.
I think your best bet is to give the support guys a ring on 0114 296 5198 or 0845 140 0200 and they will be able to talk you through your set up to see where the problem is actually occurring.
JRingrose
Grafter

Hi - it is plugged into a Voyager 210 supplied by yourselves only a few days ago.
As my wife cannot currently walk and is confined to working from home this was why I got Plus net - it is driving her wild.
We have tried ringing the numbers but never any answers also got questions sent in waiting and system checker currently on.
Often just doesn't come on when computer switched on and sometimes drops out.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Can I ask if you are connecting to the device using USB or Ethernet?
Have you tried removing the power cable from the Voyager and then reinserting the power cable and seeing if you are then able to connect?
If you look at this page:
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212
You are able to see when our calls times are lower.  Currently the logest waiting time is 12 minutes.  I appreciate that you won't be able to see that graph when you are not able to get connected.
Often with intermittent connections, the problem can be down to filtering and internal wiring.  Can I ask you to try connecting the Voyager to the master socket via a filter?  It's also a very good idea to try using a different filter to ensure that the one you have is working fine.
JRingrose
Grafter

James
We are using Ethernet.  Tried unplugging router and another microfilter.  I believe tests are now ongoing on the line.  Phone now not working so presume it is because tests going on
James
Grafter

Hi John,
The phoneline not working should not be caused by the tests that we are doing.
Can you confirm whether or not you are using your master socket for the modem connection?
JRingrose
Grafter

Yes using master socket for modem connection
James
Grafter

Thank you.
If your phone line is still experiencing issues, can you please call BT on 150 (0800 800 150) to report a line fault?
This may be related to the intermiottency on your broadband service.  Make sure you don't mention that you have broadband though, this generally results in BT shifting the blame.
JRingrose
Grafter

I don't believe there is a phone problem - I am answering this from work.  Wife is at home and disconnected phone to try modem by itself as requested and believe she hasn't put it back.
JRingrose
Grafter

The line testing finished and advised couldn't check.  Wife rang to say that for about 3 mins the system connected but as soon as she tried to get into Hotmail it went down again.  However her box for LAN shows - Connected  - Speed 100mbps However it isn't connected.  The router had all green lights up, now the internet green light is not on!!.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Are you able to access http://voyager.home when the connection is not working?
JRingrose
Grafter

You can access it but it just says not connected.  Her LAN Icon shows sometimes connected sometimes not but nothing happens
As I say I am using my works computer I cannot contact you at home as system not working.  I will try everything tonight and log everythinhg that is or isn't working but I really need this sorting as it is urgent for my wife working at home as she cannot currently walk!!!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It sounds like it's not staying connected correctly or not reconnecting automatically if the connection drops. I'll give the faults team a nudge and you should get some more information over the course of the next 24 hours or so.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
suesykes
Grafter

This is exactly whats happening to me... I have just borrowed another router to see if it fixes the problem.
JRingrose
Grafter

I did all I was asked to do and just to advise:
When I got home last night I replaced the microfilter and also unplugged the supply to the router and plugged in again.  It started working and I thought "YES" - fault is fixed.  It was on for approx 5 hrs whilst my wife caught up with all her work.  It stayed on the whole period.  Switched off when finished.  Wife got up early to finish some work before big telephone conference today and "BINGO" it didn't work again at 0800 - then it did then it didn't- intermittent.  Surely it is proven that equipment is OK and this must be a line fault of some sort