cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband download speed - When will it recover?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband download speed - When will it recover?

It looks as though your default noise margin has increased.
A couple of things.
If you have an NTE5 master socket can you try the test socket behind the lower half of the faceplate and report the stats
You appear to be using PPPoE - is there a reason for that or is it a router report which I have misread
simonb2005
Dabbler

There was no change to the download and upload speeds when connected to the test socket.
However, on reverting back to the faceplate socket, I checked the router settings and these seem to have changed (reduced noise margins) - please see attached.
However, the speed is still 0.5 Mb downstream and 0.4 mB upstream according to Uswitch speed checker.
Not sure about the PPPoE setting - however it has been set to that since June (see earlier part of merged thread) and working fine for several weeks until yesterday.
Regards
Simon
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your profile will be mucking up speed test results.
The thing now is to try and find out what changed when you went back to the faceplate socket as that is a big improvement.
Do you have a filtered faceplate
When connected to the test socket and then back again did you change anything else such a filter or cable
As you are using Routerstats can you start monitoring the errors per 15 mins as this might show up some bursts of noise.
Does the master socket look fairly new - I wonder if the connection to the test socket may be a bit dodgy when you plugged the filter in to it
simonb2005
Dabbler

Yes there is a filter on the faceplate socket.  The only thing I had to do was to restart the router.  Nothing else has been altered.
I have been noticing however that the internet connection has been dropping occasionally (both before the hour long problem yesterday) and also again after I reconnected to the internet after testing the test socket.  I'm not sure if this is a problem others are experiencing or something specific to my connection.
Would you expect the speed to start to recover now that the router stats have improved?
Regards
Simon
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Speed test improve - yes but only after a few days without loss of sync.
So you have a faceplate filter and that gives better results than the filter you used in the test socket - that suggests a crappy filter.
Is the filtered faceplate a BT one or  ADSLNation or another make
Is there anything obvious which occurs when the router loses sync - phone ringing for example
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI simonb2005,
I'll be interested to hear the latest answers to the questions Jim has asked you. Can you tell me when you noticed the speed go down and which of these disconnections was you resetting the connection.
Jojo Smiley
simonb2005
Dabbler

HI Jojo,
The first problem I noticed was on Wednesday evening, around when there seems to be a break in the session on your chart between 18:00 and 19:00.  I tried rebooting the router in this time period, but that didn't work and so rang Plusnet technical support just after 19:00.  While I was on the phone, and with the router switched back on, the internet connection came back.  However the reduced download speeds have been noticeable since then.
I just ran another speed check and am getting 0.4Mb downstream, and 0.3 Mb upstream.
The current router stats are attached for information.
Since my earlier problems in June, I have been very careful not to reset the router and so the only intentional disconnections I have made are the one on Wednesday evening and on Thursday evening when testing the socket.  However, in following oldjim's advice, I merely reconnected the RJ11connector from the faceplate socket to the test socket and then rebooted the router, so the router stats before and after the router rebooting are valid for the same filter and RJ11 cable set up.
Hope this helps - please let me know if you want me to perform any other checks (and in case I misunderstood anything in the previous chain)!
Regards
Simon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Simon,
Your profile is now back up to 1500. I've raised that on our side now, so you should see the difference in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
I have just run another speed check and actually got 1.9 downstream and 0.4 upstream (easily the fastest I have ever seen on this line)!
Cannot thank you enough as usual - very impressed with your response!
By the way, do you have a recommended speed checker with the btspeedtest being unavailable?
Regards
Simon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You could use this one, it's quite similar to ours. Alternatively, just type speed test in google and pick one Smiley
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
My broadband download speed has been dropping over the last couple of days.  My speeds this morning at 6:30am are:
Download: 831 kbps, upload 374 kbps.
My modem stats are attached for info.
I haven't noticed any significant connection problems, though I do sometimes seem to get disconnected from the internet for a few seconds now and again (mainly noticed if I am using an iPad connected to the wireless router).  I would be interested to know if you can see any problems at your end!
Thanks
Simon
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@simonb2005
Try changing your router from PPPoE to PPPoA.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi simonb2005,
If you have a windows machine then use something like inSSIDer which you can use to find the best wireless channel. Is your speed low over ethernet?
Jojo Smiley
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi JoJo
Yes the speeds I am quoting are for an iMac connected using Ethernet.  My wireless devices include a Windows 7 laptop which records similar speeds over wireless.
BTW: I first tried changing from PPPoE to PPPoA but I immediately lost my wireless router connection.  After resetting to PPPoE,  my connection restarted after about 15 mins.
I will still try the software you suggested to find the best wireless channel (using the Windows laptop); however, it does seem to be a problem with the Ethernet speed.
Thanks
Simon
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: simonb2005
BTW: I first tried changing from PPPoE to PPPoA but I immediately lost my wireless router connection.

It's always wrong to make assumptions...  Embarrassed
I assumed the Netgear router was also the ADSL modem, but clearly you have it connected to another device using PPPoE. What is the Netgear model number, and what is it connected to?