cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband download meter?

bellx15

Broadband download meter?

Does anyone know of a download meter / monitor that is able to distinguish between daytime usage and (free) midnight - 8am usage? I can't find one.
14 REPLIES 14
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: Broadband download meter?

softperfect  bandwidth manager allows you to record and specify the period of usages
but  its not  free program(it is for a month under a trial use period)
but its really very good . and whats to stop you from using it as you could try it for free for  month .
the  download can be found here
http://www.softperfect.com/
bellx15

I'll try it. Thanks.
mfiles
Grafter

Softperfect  do a free monitor as well;;,  I think this can split between peak and free downloads - and it's free !
http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

bellx15

I downloaded and installed that one, and it looks much simpler to use.
I can't get it to start working though. It's in the tray, I've adjusted all the settings, but it doesn't measure any traffic.
Any ideas?
magnetism2772
Grafter

I downloaded the standard version of softperfect s bandwidth manager
had to read the help files for an hour mind
used it for a month
it works fine
not sure on your free version, read the help files , you will probably get it to work
you may of missed something during the set up
if not download the standard version, use it for a month till you get used to it
its a great program , i have it on my pc myself, only it cost about 60 bucks to register the version
not that its not good value  for money
magnetism2772
Grafter

after setting a password in the local remote dialog box
left the connect to host  as localhost
on my version you create a rule then press the green connect button, you just need to click on the 'summation' button/  then select quota  usage tab  to view a usage graph
then let it auto update on the meter
which  it does every 1 minute
I just left it running then hourly checked my usage graphically  via this meter
bellx15

I didn't set any passwords or anything, but after a while it started working all by itself. No idea what happened there, but it appears to be fine now.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

has any one got it networked on two machines?
If you go into advanced setting you can synchronise over the network, I have two XP laptops that I have shared files, will this do?,  I am not really into networking, never had a need for it
magnetism2772
Grafter

if you mean can it work/control  two machines  connected  together  with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) ?
then yes 
at least on the standard version
mfiles
Grafter

Hi Bellx15
Sorry but only just read your posts - have you solved your problem now ?
When I set up mine I just went into settings checked them out especially the peak/off peak table on the Advanced Tab. Then the only thing I think I changed was the Quota figures - and it was up and running
Mfiles
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it fooled me for a while, but to change the peak off peak times you click twice on say green to change it to yellow.
Still not sure if my figures are the total or just me, will have to see what happens after midnight and compare it with view my usage
mfiles
Grafter

Hi Pierre_Pierre
I noticed the tag to monitor over the network, but I'm not sure if it will pick up any downloads brought down onto the other machine or if it is just downloads on the "monitored" machine plus any data transferred between machines on the network -
The only problem I had when I was setting it up was what to put against the quota for Off-Peak traffic - because there isn't a usage limit !  I wasn't sure if it would capture the usage if there wasn't a quota against it so I put in 100Gb  Cheesy

Let us know what happens  after midnight - with your monitor that is  Smiley
Mfiles
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

NetWorX does exactly what you would want it to do. It measures traffic between the PC and the internet and when you have the synchronise option on it shares that data with all other instances on your LAN. Obviously they have to both be on at the same time for that to happen, but if one is off it catches up the next time they are both on. From any PC you can view the total or individual usage.
That's all relating to a standard home LAN using a router. I'm not sure about using ICS since all the internet traffic goes through the one PC and it's modem anyway so I think you'd just monitor that PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes it records on both machines and I can Monitor SWMBO usage from my machine,  From the usage stats page, you can chose which user to look at, your ,the others, combined, peak or off peak etc. etc.
what it isnt recording is my OFCam router which is connected to the Thompson one via ethernet, last night between midnight and 0700 VMU was 12.4M