cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down since Tuesday - Faulty router and faulty wiring

sscutts

Broadband down since Tuesday - Faulty router and faulty wiring

My internet went down Monday night or Tuesday morning. I reset the router and the modem but still no internet so phoned customer services on tuesday evening who told me to unplug both boxes for an hour and they would phone back after the hour if it showed on his system that they still weren't working. They weren't and he phoned back as promised and booked an engineer to visit who turned up today (Thursday).
He discovered that both the router was faulty and that the wiring at the box at the end of the road was wrong - The original openreach engineer (who connected us up on 14th Jan) has connected us to a Sky Broadband line (or something along those lines).
I called your customer services about an hour ago to arrange the new router and I have had to pay for the postage for the faulty box you supplied which is under a year old! So not only have I been without internet for 3 days which I haven't been compensated for I have also had to pay you for the privilege of getting it working again!
Why do I have to pay for the routers postage?!
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband down since Tuesday - Faulty router and faulty wiring

Hi there,
Just had a word with the agent you talked to, how did the engineer prove the router wasn't working please?
sscutts

No idea but he connected directly to the modem fine but couldn't through the router. I'm not technical so you may want to speak to the engineer rather than me as he worked on it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately we're not able to do that, we can only call a first line callcentre who'll call through to the engineer's management department to get updates on the notes. I can check the notes that the engineer has put on the fault and will do, but that's about it.
I'm afraid what you've said doesn't prove that the original router is faulty, so the agent you talked to was correct to charge postage.
sscutts

So me sitting here without internet for the rest of my 18 month contract is the only option?
Bit of a joke if you ask me. Surely its your job to test the router!
You went through settings with me on the phone to try and get back up and running and the router still wouldn't connect which is the whole reason an engineer was sent out.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, I'm afraid it's one of the things we ask for in our faults diagnostics - if you don't have an alternative router to test, then you can take your own to another broadband enabled line and test it there?
Realise this may not be what you wanted to hear but without proof it's not working I'm afraid we won't issue a replacement for free, same as pretty much any store would.
sscutts

So I have to buy another router to test if it works (and then as its used I wont be able to return it) OR take my router to someone elses house to connect it up there without any technical knowledge.
Surely as I've purchased the router then it has a 12 month guarantee (minimum) which means it should be replaced "JUST LIKE PRETTY MUCH ANY STORE WOULD" as you say.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: sscutts
Surely as I've purchased the router then it has a 12 month guarantee (minimum) which means it should be replaced "JUST LIKE PRETTY MUCH ANY STORE WOULD" as you say.

Yes - provided you can prove it's not working. As yet you haven't, so like any store, we're refusing to replace it. If you can prove it's not working we'd be happy to refund the postage.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

sscutts' cotract is with you. You arranged for the engineer to attend so he is acting as your agent and as your agent advised that the router was faulty.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sscutts

So your customer services not being able to get it working isn't proof isn't enough?
So the fact Plusnet could not get it working is not proof enough it is faulty? Can't you see how rediculous that sounds? You yourselves cannot get it working but you say that is not proof it's faulty?
I think I will just send this to trading standards to get their view on this as according to their guides I am entitled to a replacement at no cost to me.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the engineer has proved that it's faulty and that's reflected in the notes, then we should have replaced this free of charge. I see the engineer also corrected a fault in the cabinet and was able to get sync on the modem but not the router after that. I'm going to refund the delivery charge now and it should be back with you in the next day or so.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.