cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down over 24 hours - still not fixed

iamrobert
Dabbler

Broadband down over 24 hours - still not fixed

Hi I am a relatively new customer, been connected for about a week. Yesterday morning my connection went down and is still down.  Fault team went through various procedures with me but unable to fix.
I have a wireless Thompson router and the broadband light is on green but the internet light is on red.
When I try to log on I get the following message
Authentication Failed
Before you can authenticate yourself, you have to log in as a more privleged user.

Does anyone have any ideas
Thanks Rob
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Broadband down over 24 hours - still not fixed

Quote from: iamrobert
I have a wireless Thompson router and the broadband light is on green but the internet light is on red.
When I try to log on I get the following message
Authentication Failed
Before you can authenticate yourself, you have to log in as a more privleged user.

Do you mean log on to the router?  What software (Operating System) is your computer running?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi iamrobert,
From your description and the information you've given us on the fault checker this could mean that your router has lost synchronisation (this is the broadband signal carried over the line from the exchange to your router).
I'll make sure we start testing on this now so look out for an update to your ticket ASAP please.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As per my telephone call I understand that you are actually having some problems logging into the router settings page. It would also seem that after a factory reset the same problem still happened.
Please let me know how things go with the Belkin router as we might need to arrange a replacement for our device.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
iamrobert
Dabbler

Hi Adam
Thanks for your help. After we had finished speaking I got in to the Thompson Gateway config page by typing the IP address into my browser. I was able to re-configor my router and all is ok now. I will know what to do if it happens again.
Regards Robert
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Robert, I'm still curious to know what you were doing before that brought up the strange error message.  There was another reference to that message on a Plusnet forum in 2009 but the issue was never resolved.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for letting us know Robert, glad that worked out in the end.
@ReedRichards  that error message isn't that strange it's actually what happens on some versions of the T585 router when you enter the wrong login credentials to try and access the firmware page when trying to connect for the first time.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
robertandrachel

Hello,
I'm currently at work and my girlfriend has just phoned to let me know we have this same message. We've been with Plusnet since about April and have had no problems so far. Apparently my girlfriend was just browsing the internet as normal and this message appeared. As I'm at work and not able to phone support until about 6pm tonight, is there a way to fix this problem without phoning the support team? If I do need to phone the support team then what is the phone number and what details will I need to hand?
Thanks,
Rob
PS In case you need it our user name is robertandrachel
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@ReedRichards  that error message isn't that strange it's actually what happens on some versions of the T585 router when you enter the wrong login credentials to try and access the firmware page when trying to connect for the first time.

So is robertandrachel's problem down to one of those bits of malware that tries to fiddle with your router settings?
hamilton36
Grafter

I was following this interesting thread and I would like to report a problem that may be connected to this.  I also have a nearly new Thomson router - about a month old - but I am currently connected via a Belkin Wireless G Router.  I tried to log on onto Thomson gateway at http://192.168.1.254 about an hour ago and could not log on at all, so after 3 attempts I gave up. 
I have not tried to connect to Internet with Thomson router.
Alex
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The 'Authentication Failed' message is where your browser has saved the username / password to access the configuration page incorrectly. You occasionally see this page during normal browsing if the connection goes down - the router automatically redirects you to the configuration page.
To get around the issue, clear your cookies, cache, saved passwords etc. and navigate to 192.168.1.254 (or just open your browser if you're being redirected) enter the correct username+password combination.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Ben
The 'Authentication Failed' message is where your browser has saved the username / password to access the configuration page incorrectly. You occasionally see this page during normal browsing if the connection goes down - the router automatically redirects you to the configuration page.

So it can occur during normal browsing; sorry for being alarmist.