cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down for last six hours

dswalker2

Broadband down for last six hours

Hi. My broadband has been down since 6.30pm on Sunday the 19th. It dropped out during use and is normally a rock solid connection. A similar thing happened in August and resulted in 3 days without a connection and no explanation from support as to why it came back on. I therefore thought I'd try the forum help, as I really need the connection up as soon as possible.

As with the previous outage, I have tried all suggested troubleshooting tests, including eliminating faulty filters and cables. A silent line test shows no unwanted noise on the line and the phone is working perfectly. Two routers have been tried, including the supplied plusnet one. Both show the ADSL line as being connected, but no internet. The Asus router log shows good line attenuation and the ADSL line as being up with no response from the remote server.

Many thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Broadband down for last six hours

Have you tried faults.plus.net to report the fault?

dswalker2

Thanks, I've just done that. For some reason it was giving me an error earlier about not supporting my connection, but now works.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Your welcome mate, fingers crossed you get sorted soon, also welcome to the forum!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there and welcome to the community forums.

It looks like your connection is dropping overnight.

Is your router switched on 24/7?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dswalker2

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes the router is switched off overnight and always has been. The drop out was from 6.30pm on Sunday to 9.30ish on Tuesday, as can be seen on your graphic. I left the router switched on during that time, as suggested by tech support, so the reconnection occurred with the router on.

The connection has been fine since, but I would like to know what the problem was likely to be, as this has happened twice in the last three months, a dropped connection and then 1-3 days offline.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The connection has been fine since, but I would like to know what the problem was likely to be, as this has happened twice in the last three months, a dropped connection and then 1-3 days offline.

Testing your line didn't find the cause of the problem.

I'd personally recommend leaving your router on 24/7. There's software called dynamic line management (DLM) in the exchange which monitors your connection and it may ultimately apply "banding", slowing your speed down if it thinks your line is unstable and can't handle the speed it's running at.

In addition, power-cycling your router twice a day can potentially decrease the longevity of the router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet