cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnects when I receive a cold call to landline

greenfinch

Broadband disconnects when I receive a cold call to landline

I have been getting cold calls from Bournemouth numbers (area code 01202).  I keep blocking them and they keep using new numbers.

When they call, and I do not answer, my broadband is then interrupted after the caller has hung up.

Based on other forum posts, I've ordered a new call-blocking phone, but so far I've been using a fairly old Panasonic handset and have never had this problem with blocked numbers before.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Broadband disconnects when I receive a cold call to landline

Thanks for your post @greenfinch and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see your broadband stops working when you get people cold calling you.

I've just tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues, so I'd see how it goes when your new handset arrives as this sort of problem is generally either an equipment issue or something wrong at the exchange.

If your new phone doesn't fix the issue, let us know and we'll arrange an engineer visit with you to investigate further. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
greenfinch

Hi @Gandalf   Thanks for your message.  My new phone has arrived, but the internet interruption problem continues (although phone seems great for blocking the cold calls).

It seems it's not just cold calls that interrupt my broadband, but any landline calls when I am working from home using Citrix.  Calls received when I am online but not using Citrix don't seem to interrupt my broadband.

Any ideas?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@greenfinch How strange, that would suggest that Citrix is the problem but I can't offer any explanation of why it would cause disconnection of your broadband.🤔

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for your response @greenfinch

To be honest, I'd also echo @RealAleMadrid here in that Citrix is likely to be the source of the problems you're having. We can arrange an engineer visit, though it's likely that they'll find no issues with the line itself.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
greenfinch

Still having problems.

Following phone chat with tech team, I tried connecting to the test socket which allowed the internet to work, but hadn't tried using internet at same time as phone.  Attaching a new face plate did not work.  Have tried new cordless landline phone and a different microfilter.  (The new phone has helped as far as blocking the cold-calls so I receive fewer incoming calls)

Now, any incoming call while using the internet will cut off the internet and it will not reconnect automatically (e.g. I will lose an internet shopping order I am in the middle of and my basket is then empty when I finally manually reconnect).  Outgoing calls cause the internet to disconnect randomly, but it does manage to reconnect itself.

Having the phone on the test socket is annoying (location) and has not solved the problem.

A similar post on a BT forum seems to suggest a line problem?

Please advise?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @greenfinch, I am sorry for the continued issues with your service.

Thank you for confirming the troubleshooting you have completed and that all calls are causing a drop. I have retested your line and no faults have been picked up so I have created a fault ticket here so we can look to progress this issue for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=220062487

Please just get back to us via the ticket with the requested info and if you let us know once done, we can pick that up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team