Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnects - If I'm in a call then it reconnects

dmi
Dabbler

Broadband disconnects - If I'm in a call then it reconnects

Hi there,
I would like to know if someone can help here.
I've been thru this already with Plusnet. They even sent the BT guy to check the quality of my line. (Good quality in all tests).
Now I'm back to sqaure one.
Router looses connectivity. keeps trying to sync.
Then I make a phone call from my landline to a dumb number (any number) and then Router syncs and broadband connection on again.
If I drop the call, then broadband connection drops.
Anyone?
Have tried with Plusnet router and my own D-link router, same behaviour.
Any input appreciated.
Cheers!
D
PS: Next step is to move back to BT is this really annoying situation continues.
26 REPLIES 26
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Broadband disconnects - If I'm in a call then it reconnects

That sounds like a dodgy filter somewhere. Have you tried connecting your router at the master socket test port, with a new filter? Or at least making sure there is nothing connected to your line without a filter? Commonest culprit is a Sky Digital box.
dmi
Dabbler

Jaggies, thx for your reply.
Have tried different filters. I have tried with different routers, different phones and different filters. (Following the instructions from Plusnet support). I am using only the master socket downstairs, one phone and the router connected to it.  The issue is that I just spent 3 or 4 weeks of stable connection and suddenly last night the problem started again.  In case it is an issue with a filter then why it happens in such a sporadic / irregular way?
I do not have Sky at home, only have an alarm, but again,in order to discard the alarm,  when I got disconnected last night I connected the router directly to the main socket (by-passing the alarm) just as the BT technician recommended. To my surprise the problem continued. So, it is not the alarm (which I've had for 4 years now, and for the record, the problems started as I moved to Plusnet 6 months ago...)
So, the problem is irregular, have tried several filters, no sky at home and it is not the alarm. For example  this morning I'm not in a phone call and my router is connected and working ok-ish.
Didn't touch it since last night, it got sync'ed and broadband is working. Right now I have 160 Kbps Upstream, 3424 Kbps Downstream. Upstream is on the slow side (usually get 400+) and downstream is the maximum I can get.
The funny/weird thing is that I know that if the router gets disconnected (does not sync), I just make a call and then router re-syncs. Problem is I need to stay int he call for it to work... I believe it is on the plusnet side, but so far, I have no way to prove it...
dmi
Dabbler

by the way, just in case it helps, this is what I'm getting right now:
DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 160
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 3424
US Margin 7
DS Margin 9
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 55
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Interleaved
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Have you tried a 'quiet line' test from the test socket ( that's the socket behind the removable faceplate ). Given that you seem to have eliminated a filter problem, sounds like it may be a High Resistance Line fault ( see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm
~ adsl only works when the phone is being used.
    * Check filters and internal wiring.
    * Check for noise on the line which may help identify the problem by doing a "quiet line test".
      (Dial 17070 and select option 2).
    * If so - Possibly a fault on the actual phone line perhaps due to worn cables or water on the line.
      There may be times when a cable or joint is only slightly damaged/corroded and shows no immediate problem, however the damage is sufficient to increase resistance on the line.
      When the phone line is in use, it generates a small electrical current which is needed to carry the voice signal. This current helps reduce resistance on the line and can be sufficient to "bridge the gap" just enough to carry the adsl signal. This is known as a High Open or High Resistance Fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dmi
Dabbler

MisterW, thx for your reply
Will try what you recommend, I noticed that when the connection drops and the modem cannot sync there is a lot of noise on my phone line - scratching noises, sometimes it gets really bad. (which is the reason why plusnet sent the BT techy to do a line test). Unforthunately when the BT techy was here, Murphy's Law hit, and everything worked perfectly, no noise in the line and all tests perfect... 😞
Right now things seem to have stabilized, if I hear the noises again and my connection drops I will perform the test you propose.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Actually I've just relooked at the stats you posted
    DS Line Attenuation  55
    US Line Attenuation  63

That indicates a definite problem, the upstream attenuation is normally about 1/2 that of the downstream since it uses lower frequencies. The fact that yours is higher than the downstream indicates a problem and explains the low upstream synch.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dmi
Dabbler

That indicates a definite problem, the upstream attenuation is normally about 1/2 that of the downstream since it uses lower frequencies. The fact that yours is higher than the downstream indicates a problem and explains the low upstream synch.

So what can I do here? Any next steps? Who's fault is this?
Broadband connection has been on, however I did the "quiet line test" and what I could hear was all the noise/scratching that happens on my line... crazy!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I was sort of hoping that someone from the PlusNet Digital Care team might have spotted this thread and given their opinion...

dmi
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW
I just opened a support ticket with Plusnet support and provided them the link to this forum topic.
Broadband is again dropping... I'm connected using the trick of making a phone call...
Found this site that details a bit more the "High Open" issue you raise: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11821
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Who do you pay for your phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dmi
Dabbler

Plusnet...
Phone and Broadband with Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you checked if the ringing of an incoming call helps? That uses a higher voltage I believe which can further improve poor joints.
If you dial 17070 option 1 is a ring back test - let it ring a good few times.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: dmi
Unforthunately when the BT techy was here, Murphy's Law hit, and everything worked perfectly, no noise in the line and all tests perfect... 😞

If the ringing of an incoming makes a temporary improvement, did he give you a call to say he was on his way?
dmi
Dabbler

Hi there,
Have you checked if the ringing of an incoming call helps? That uses a higher voltage I believe which can further improve poor joints.
If you dial 17070 option 1 is a ring back test - let it ring a good few times.

Difficult to say cause I need to make the call to 17070 (which enables the connection for a few secs)...
did he give you a call to say he was on his way?

What do you mean?