cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnections - was CLI Not Working

gary396
Grafter

Broadband disconnections - was CLI Not Working

First post from a new Plusnet member - so please be gentle!
I included the CLI call feature in my phone / broadband package which went live on 19th Oct but to date we're not getting incoming phone numbers being shown on our phone. We had this feature working fine via our previous supplier (originally Tiscali, recently TalkTalk) and with the same PC / router setup so I'm puzzled why it won't work with Plusnet.
I have reported the fault but Plusnet said it is setup and should be working so have stated that they could send an engineer out at a cost of £60 if the fault is at our end (but I don't see why it should be if it worked before). Has anyone experienced a similar problem when switching to Plusnet?
In general - bit disappointed to be honest - changeover was a bit drawn out on the day (but I could live with that), then emails to my Plusnet address kept getting undelivered (which Plusnet sorted after a few days), speeds are down and disconnections up (yet to report - was waiting for the 10-day training to get sorted and now CLI). So, as I say disappointed.
Gary
jim:green title changes to reflect the majority of the posts mod:end
38 REPLIES 38
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: CLI Not Working

If your phone can show caller ID on the line of someone else with CLI and/or someone else's phone shows caller ID on their line but not yours I think that would be good evidence that it was not your problem but one with the phone set-up.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gary396,
Did you manage to test another phone or yours on another line. Did you try it in the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
gary396
Grafter

Got a call from 'Alex' at Plusnet yesterday - he was very helpful re this issue (and separate advice re frequent broadband disconnections). To solve the CLI he arranged for facility to be disabled and then re-ordered to see if it would clear the problem. It did - CLI working from yesterday afternoon but I was unable to update this page then as broadband disconnects every few minutes from late afternoon onwards, virtually unuseable on evenings - that saga is ongoing.
Anyway thanks to Alex for the CLI fix.
Gary
P.s. Had to type this twice - broadband just disconnected again (now doing it in the mornings, deep joy)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gary396,
Your line is disconnecting a lot. Can you confirm whether you are using any extension cable/sockets before your router? I would also recommending leaving your router on 24/7 as that will help with stability.
Jojo Smiley
gary396
Grafter

Hi Jojo.
No - not using any extension cables. The router is plugged diectly into the main phone socket (via a filter). I could leave it on 24/7 but seems a bit wasteful really and it's not something I like to do or have had need to do in the past.
The connection seems relatively steady during the daytime but gets really bad from late afternoon onwards - it was practically unuseable yesterday at this time. I was going to try another router (but I doubt that is the problem) but I gave up as I couldn't get a connection stable enough to set it up etc. Will try again this evening if I can. Thanks
Gary
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gary,
Can you try using the test socket. Also, have a look here for some tips on dropping connection.
Jojo Smiley
gary396
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Ok, update from me:
I left the router switched on most of the day yesterday from before 0800 to about 2300 hours I think. Seemed stable during most of the daytime although I think it disconnected briefly in the morning. Then again it started with lots of disconnections - again around 1600 hours. I wasn't able to monitor it much after that because I was out.
This morning it was switched on before 0800 hours without any obvious problem. A few minutes ago I plugged it into the Test Socket as you suggested (I haven't a clue what that does) and will leave it that way for the present time. Connected okay and phone line still working.
Gary
P.s. This thread started off re CLI problems - is it okay to keep you updated re disconnections on this thread?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gary,
Basically removing the front plate of the master socket disconnects any extension sockets and wiring from your phone line. This can (and usually does) reduce interference and proves whether or not the fault is being caused by the internal wiring - if it is, it's best not to raise a fault on it as you'll be charged for the fix. If the fault's still apparent in the test socket though then you've proved it's a line issue outside your premises and a fault needs to be raised to get it sorted.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gary,
Would it be possible for you to leave the router on constantly? It will help us better diagnose the line's performance.
Jojo Smiley
gary396
Grafter

Hi Jojo / Matt,
Thanks for info re what the test socket does and yes I will leave it switched on permanently from now on over the weekend.
Thanks again for you help.
Gary
gary396
Grafter

Okay update from me re disconnections:
As per above I plugged the router directly into the test socket at approx 0830 hours on Friday 4th Nov and have left it switched on permanently since then. Tested via Speedtest a few times that day and was getting approx 6.85Mb/s download and 0.37MB/s upload; the latter being particularly disappointing. For info - I'm getting about half with PN compared to previous provider - it was about 0.77MB/s with Tiscali/TT and download was about 7Mb/s).
Anyway, I didn't notice any disconnections until shortly after 1600 hours on the 4th.
Ever since that disconnection my Speedtest results are showing a fair bit lower download - approx 4.7MB/s and again 0.37 MB/s upload BUT I haven't noticed any disconnections since then - I presume PN can tell if there have been. Is the slower download speed the reason for none (or fewer disconnections)? And if so am I stuck with this and the slow upload speed?
Also is the slower download speed a result of 'auto-system' intervention or changes made by PN?
Should I reconnect the router to the main plate in stead of the test socket to compare?
For info I did one BT speedtest in the weekend with the following result:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3091 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5352 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4721 Kbps
Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 339 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps
Thanks
Gary
gary396
Grafter

Anyone (PN) please? Thanks
gary396
Grafter

Still connected to Test Socket pending further guidance / update from PN please.
For info - brief disconnection at approx 0820 hours this morning - the first that I've noticed since approx 1600 hours on 4th Nov. Router has been switched on all of this time. Download and upload speeds still only approx 4.7 and 0.37 Mb/s.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gary396,
it looks like the line has been a lot more stable since you left it on and in the test socket. The speed is a bit lower on the downstream because the SNR is 15dB. This could be reset, but I'd like to see it stay steady a bit longer. As for your upstream speed, I can uncap this which would give you the equivalent , or better than you were getting with your previous provider.
Jojo Smiley