cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnections today.

florence2
Dabbler

Re: Broadband disconnections today.

router logs said connection dropped 11:43 lastnight and never reconnected.

Came to it this morning and it would not connect at all.

Upstream speed has dropped and noise margin is causing the connection to drop.

Link Rate 5127 kbps 133 kbps
Line Attenuation 51.0 dB 33.6 dB
Noise Margin 7.7 dB 7.9 dB

Is the first stable connection i could get in an hour.

florence2
Dabbler

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 5166 kbps 136 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.1 dB 33.5 dB
Noise Margin 8.7 dB 15.3 dB

keeps dropping.

On a side note kelly communications were on the street this morning so whatever plusnet did to fix the previous problem kelly have obviously undone.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

These stats are all over the place - especially the US figures.  Have you followed the speed issues guide and run the trouble shooter as previously advised?  See link below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

florence2
Dabbler

After a BT engineer came and found nothing i swapped the router for a new one and for the past 3 days the speeds AGAIN have been like this -

Connection Speed 4203 kbps 53 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.7 db 33.0 db
Noise Margin 10.9 db 20.7 db

It's odd because with the old router rebooting it would get the speed back to normal but with the new router its disconnecting and reconnecting all over the place.

It was fine after the engineer came for awhile but now its gone completely.

In writing this post its gone from above to

Connection Speed 4711 kbps 787 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 32.4 db
Noise Margin 9.1 db 5.6 db

to -

Connection Speed 3730 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 32.4 db
Noise Margin 10.1 db 13.0 db

With it sometimes connecting but i'm not able to access websites.

Everything has been changed in house.

Important note i think i accidently turned interleaving off and would like it turned back on again please.

Connection Speed 3104 kbps 268 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.2 db 32.5 db
Noise Margin 15.5 db 15.2 db
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

Can you please give this one a good review please?  The OP has provided only part of the information required to allow another customer to offer assistance here.  The part router stats do not offer much context of what is being experienced.

Since the earlier part of this topic, the line's attenuation has 'changed' from 5odB to 55dB - accepting that different routers can report attenuation differently, this is a sizable variation.  Has the line been changed from ADSL to ADSL2+ (no contextual router stats offered).

The DS line speed is not too far off for a 55dB line, but the resent SNRMs are somewhat higher than ideal and DS is quite pants, even after the BTOR engineer visit.  If this is ADSL2, is the US capped?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

florence2
Dabbler

It's 5meg xDSL (ADSL i assume)

routers are netgear D3600 (old) Netgear D7000v2 (new) with new wiring in house with a new BT socket.

Standard speeds for me have been 5meg to 5.2meg download and 880  ish upload.

If you need anymore info i'll try and type it quickly between disconnects Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

xDSL is a generic term for Digital Service Line.

ADSL has three variants, which operate differently - ADSL (sometimes called ADSL1), ADSL2 and ADLS2+

Each of them with the same router will report the line attenuation different (between 1-3dB variation) due to the different frequency spectrum in use.

The variation in the stats you have supplied would fit a change from ADSL(1) to ADLS2+  The DS sync speed is in the right ball park, but the SNRM is too variable!  Further the US speed options are quite different between ADSL and ADSL2.

Hence the ask of the wizard to find out what is going on, what you've got and why superficially it looks challenged.

florence2
Dabbler

xDSL is the only thing is says in account details although it is a plusnet unlimited package.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@florence2 you have been asked several times, but have you got a phone and have you done the quiet line test - 17070 option 2 from a corded phone?

Also your D7000 can provide a lot more helpful information, I have one running DSL Stats, more info can be found over on Kitz

Also :

Netgear D7000-100UKS Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 router and DSLStats  Just in case it helps anyone out there, I struggled to set up DSL Stats with this router. xhttp://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug To set up DSL Stats, I used these settings:Modem/Router model  -  IP Address: - set to the IP of your routerTelnet login name: - leave blankTelnet password - leave blankTelnet port - 23tick the box  " Requires command to enter shell"Shell command - rootCLI command prefix - xdslctl with these settings it began collecting data for me. HTH and HAND :)Mustrum  NETGEAR D7000-100UKS Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band 600+1300 Mbps Wireless (Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections http://simonmcc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/netgear-d7000-100uks-nighthawk-ac1900.html

florence2
Dabbler

@Mustrum BT engineering did all the checks on the line..there was no line noise then there is none now.

As for the router i have had if for the sum total of 4 hours. It's brand new. it was delievered today.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not sure who you mean by BT Engineering - its not an official group within BT. Or indeed if you have a current fault open, or what steps have been taken so far. 

Something appears to vary your speeds and other stats, which would suggest some kind of interference going on somewhere - alas which can be the hardest to find. The more information you can provide, the more people can use to help. Much will depend on how far you are from the exchange, the further the lower speeds you can expect, and the more variations are likely to affect your service. 

Putting your phone number into the DSL checker and sharing the output will help determine if you have any options to improve service, as will checking with Virgin to see if they can provide service.

florence2
Dabbler

@Mustrum ok

Since my last post on here we had a BT openreach engineer come to the house to check the line after i put a ticket into plus net.

He did all the checks on the line and found the phone line completely stable with no noise and only one instance of line instability which wouldn't cause this issue.

He recommended trying a new router if the issue returned which i have now done.

The line had no noise and peak speed was 5.2meg at 2miles from the exchange.

As this seems to be an intermittent fault he could not find anything wrong at the time and i have not had this issue before the first time, but as it has now returned there must be a deeper underlying issue.

I'm sure the DSL check won't be any help but here you go

eatured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 58.1 20 19 49.4 Available -- --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 73.3 46.3 20 14.9 39.8 Available -- --  

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 2 to 6 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U            
VRI N            
NTEFaceplate N            
Last Test Date 16-05-2017

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@florence2

I suspect that Mustrum is thinking along the lines of "Is fibre available to you..." which is not the answer to the question you are asking.  ADSL should be doing a bit better on your line, which is why I tagged @Gandalf to take a look, though if @adamwalker is around he might be able to assist here again.

For my liking those stats are not right.

florence2
Dabbler

I'll be giving PN a ring in the morning as this is a problem only an engineer can fix.

The last time something like this happen someone left testing equipment connected to the exchange which kept disconnecting me.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

The DSL check does actually help - your sync speed is better than it shows, meaning that your line is cleaner and DLM is not reducing your speeds. FTTC is available, and the speeds shown suggest the cabinet is quite close to your home - you could get higher speeds if they are important to you - being closer to the cabinet may also result is more reliable broadband service.

However, the cause of your issues will need further investigation - another Radius Server check, and further information from you to see if the breaks coincide with what is showing on the Radius Server will help determine if it's the line, or something on your internal network causing your issues.