cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnecting every 5-10 minutes

bzaman1994

Broadband disconnecting every 5-10 minutes

Hello,

We got our hub about 5 days ago and set it up as instructed, we were also emailed to say the service is live. However, it is constantly dropping connection from the hub and the light flashes orange. Please can anyone help? Keen to leave this service whilst I can if it is going to persist as we need a reliable connection for my husband WFH. 

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband disconnecting every 5-10 minutes

@bzaman1994  Welcome to the forums. Can you please confirm which service you are on?

What self-help/tests have you done ?

John
bzaman1994

Thanks for your speedy reply.

We are on the £18.99 unlimited broadband 10mb - our area doesn't have fast yet so this was all we were allowed to purchase. 

I have tried resetting the router, disconnecting and reconnecting, tried the plusnet diagnostics which come up in the browser after admin details login (nothing detected and then it reconnects by the time I get to the later steps). When it works it's fine, but the constant disconnection makes doing anything so difficult!

jab1
Legend

Good, so you are on the right board, and we may be able to help.

If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.Sight of the HelpDesk page, under the Troubleshooting tab on your router homepage - with personal information redacted - is very useful.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

If you decide to also post on the Twitter/Facebook accounts and get a response from there, please come back here and say so.

John
bzaman1994

Thanks for your reply. Following the links I got this:

Speed test: PING 45ms, Download 5.03mbps, upload 0.62 mbps

We don't have a house phone so cannot test the phone signal. It is plugged into the master socket with the adsl filter.

I have tried connecting wirelessly and with ethernet and there is no difference in the disconnection as it's from the hub, indicated by flashing lights. 

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that information, but it just tells us your current speed and doesn't give us much to go on. If you could post the Help Desk data I requested, and the results of the 'Additional Diagnostic' from here: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (both as screenshots, please) it would be a great help.

Also, a cheap handset (£6/£7 from the likes of Argos) is an indispensable tool for checking your phone circuit, if you have noise on the voice line, your broadband is never going to perform correctly.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @bzaman1994 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your connection. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues, but I can definitely see the drops as pictured below, making your broadband almost unusable.

I'd recommend plugging your router into what's known as the test socket, explained Here making sure there's no extension cabling between the router and the telephone socket, as these checks will rule out any internal wiring. 

If you're still having issues, please raise a fault ticket at faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit and if you can post back afterwards, we'll ensure that's picked up for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Certainly looks poorly.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Really does need a Quite Line Test - a telephone handset is essential for diagnosing line faults - even if there is no intention of making phone calls.  They are cheap enough ... especially when wanting to WFH ... which the residential T&Cs do not permit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.